Friday, February 23, 2018

HONVED GUNNERS: WORK IN PROGRESS UPDATE...ALMOST DONE

Hungarian Gunners, waiting for the last steps
Harken back with me, dear readers, to my earlier post of 28 January ,when I first reported on my latest conversion project, the Hungarian/Honved artillery, estimating that it would be the work of a week--fond, silly, man!  Well, here I am, nearly one month later, and I can report that...well, if they aren't done, they are nearly done.  As usual, you may clix pix for Big Pix.
By way of comparison to the source figures, in the above you can see the converted Hungarians next their counterpart Austrians  (all Northstar 1866 Austrian Artillery Figs). Headgear modification aside, the major work involved free-handing the Hungarian loops and knots and such.  To make the red stand out against the brown, I found that I needed to once again resort to black lining--my method, if anyone wishes to replicate it, was to first paint in the details in black, a bit larger than I estimated them to be, and then do the red over the black.
Above, "Red Cap"artillerists next to their blue-kepied comrades. Still to go is a coat of flat varnish, which I shan't be able to do until tomorrow--a word to those who may wish to try enamels.  You need to let them season for at least 24 hours before taking that varnish step. Otherwise the flat varnish will take the paint up in places and in others will make it run  (I learned this the hard way: once and once only!).   After the varnish, there will be a bit more cleaning up of stray marks and such, and then comes the mounting.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Hungarian candy-striped guns and these figures together on the same stand--I doubt that anyone will be mistaking them for their Austrian cousins! Barring another back problem (which did keep me out of action for at least ten days), I should be posting the finished product in a few days (fingers crossed!).  
 Excelsior!

12 comments:

  1. A nice uniform and a great paint brush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil: the colorful Hungarians give a nice head start to the result.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work on the artillery crew, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing the effect when they're actually mounted and "finished"

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on these gunners, that red really pops, I salute your perseverance with enamels, I went acrylic in about 1984!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a break from the hobby in that timeframe (about 1981). While I was gone, everything had shifted to acrylics, only I missed the boat. When I got back into painting, I just picked up where I left off and using what I know (enamels). I "old skool" by default :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely work as always. I really like the mustaches. Got to love a good Hungarian mustache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mustache is an essential bit of kit in the Hungarian Army: goulash strainer!

      Delete
  5. Looking good! We’ve all had projects that we thought would done soon and end up taking much less longer. It’s the perils of the hobby! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew, and now with blogging, we can "share the joy" with others! Seriously, blogging has helped to keep up motivation during some projects that otherwise might have lapsed.

      Delete
  6. Those are coming along nicely Ed...
    At least they are not literally gathering dust like some of my difficult projects...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...