Sunday, June 16, 2019

THE GRENZER SHUFFLE

One of two new additions--Austrian 1848/mid century Grenzers. 

This post, dear readers, falls into the category of painting new units, but also into the "can't leave well-enough alone" category--otherwise known as the all too common "nobody would know the difference but me, so why am I bothering with this?" category. The answer to the latter being, "But I would know and it would bug me, so I'll go through this to satisfy myself," category...categorically speaking. 

Superficially, I could have done this post as a study of two newly added units to my Hungarian and Austrian mid century/Hungarian Revolt-era lists: one Hungarian and one Imperial--grenzers both. Ironically, this new work comes on the heels of my recent display of the "completed" Hungarian and Austrians (complete until a new thing hews into view, that is).  But there's more to this project than two new units. The genesis of this tinkering came about for three reasons. 1) I wanted to add one more Grenzer to each side 2) It turned out that my figure match was reversed.  I had originally used converted Perry Napoleonic figures for my Hungarian Grenzers and Steve Barber Grenzers for my Hungarians, but my Austrian infantry turned out to be converted Perry British Intervention Force figures and my Hungarians Steve Barber figures. 3) I had done my original Austrian Grenzer in pink facings and my Hungarian in yellow, but later found out that the two Grenzer units that fought with the Hungarians each had pink facings (would anyone but me have known? probably not...). Thus, I used figures from the "other" figure line for the new units and I redid the facings on the completed units to move them "across the line" to the other side. For those who are still reading, you may see the results of this exercise in the following images, which may help to clear up the muddle that I've just tried to explain (as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX)...

HUNGARIAN GRENZER UNIT #2 
 The officer is a repurposed Steve Barber 1848 Austrian Officer Advancing.
The now complete Hungarian Grenzer contingent, both units with pink facings. The new unit (#2) is in greatcoats to differentiate it from unit #1 (on the right), which had its yellow distinctions repainted in pink.  I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how the greatcoated unit turned out--it may not be a peacock, but it has an appeal, nevertheless.

AUSTRIAN GRENZER #2
Perry Napoleonic Grenzers Skirmishing Converted to Mid-Century Austrians.
The animation of the Perrys tends to make each figure its own project, as opposed to the Steve Barber, which lend themselves to more "assembly line" painting techniques. 
  The complete Austrian Grenzer contingent, with the new unit (#2) on the left joining the original (#1) on the right. I redid unit #1's distinctions from pink to orange  and re-did the pompom in Austrian black and yellow, but I could not bring myself to redo the drum, which I left in the original Hungarian details--let's say it is a trophy.  Although each has its own unique color distinctions, I added a bit more by using Grenzers skirmishing for unit #2 as opposed to the Grenzers casually marching in unit #1. Both have the same command set, from Grenzers marching. 

HUNGARIAN AND AUSTRIAN GRENZERS 
 The Steve Barber (Hungarian) Grenzers to the Left and the Perry (Austrian) Grenzers to the right.  Each line has its distinctive look.  I can now rest knowing that the figure Feng Shui is  finally in balance.  

Excelsior!

11 comments:

  1. Superb painting and wonderful uniform, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did the right, thing, Ed. This is a hobby. One needs to please oneself. Fab looking additions, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking troops anyway and you would have known, that's the important thing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Phil and Iain, yep, I needed to do it for myself.

      Delete
  4. I would have thought that many of the Hungarian Grenzers would have done service under the Empire before fighting for Hungary and that you were merely being historical by giving them the one uniform and then rebadging them for the other.

    Interesting caps on the Austrians. A precursor to the WW1 era field caps I would think. It seems like no matter how much information I acquire, there is endless supply of things I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had originally thought the same, but later found that the Grenzers, being regional, were mostly composed of ethnic groups who were at odds with the Hungarians, and as such were mainly with the Imperials (with the exception of the two Szekely Grenzer units, who were both in pink facings--thus not really interchangeable).

      The Grenzer uniform, with shako, remained mainly napoleonic (hence my ability to use the Perry Grenzers), but they did have that distinctive soft cap as well, which I agree does have an early 20th Century look to it.

      Delete
  5. What a close call and almost a huge crisis, good thing you sorted it out. How anyone plays troops with the wrong facings is beyond me. Lol. 😀
    I’ll echo above that one needs to please themselves first. You just have one of those minds that pays attention to small details. Not a bad thing.
    Figures look fantastic as usual. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A temporary descent into chaos, and a narrow escape--but the madness has passed and all is as it now should be in the world of toy soldiers.
      Appreciate the appreciation as well (thankee).

      Delete
  6. Love me some Grenzers. The unit in the first photo is my favorite. Very nice Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those figs as well: very animated, which works for Grenzers. Interesting side note on Napoleonic Grenzers. The Austrians held them in low regard (no surprise in the class-bound Hapsburg culture), but Napoleon respected them as among the most "warlike" of Austrian troops.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...