Thursday, January 9, 2020

DOUBLE PRUSSIAN 1866 DRAGOONS

Northstar 1866 Prussian Dragoons

Although this is the first post of the new year, the subject matter reaches back to the last. These figures were among those shown in the October  "To Arms! To Arms" work in progress post and were the last of that batch to be completed (in the last weeks of 2019).  Being able to field a dragoon brigade of two regiments was among my plans for my Prussian cavalry (similar to the impetus for adding the second Northstar  Hussar).  The same slippery slope applied in this project: I already had a single regiment of Foundry Prussian dragoons, but I didn't want a brigade with mixed figure lines. So I decided to just go ahead and add two new regiments of the Northstar figs. I can still put the third (Foundry) regiment on the table as needs be; given that its lines are distinct from the Northstar figs, it would actually serve very well as a dragoon of one of the other German states (many had similar if not the same uniform).  But I digress.  Here is my study of these figures (as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX):
1st (Lithuanian) Dragoon Regiment.
2nd (Brandenburg) Dragoon Regiment
I decided that I'd have one regiment with trumpeter and one with standard bearer. 
Although not as challenging as the Prussian hussar shabraque edging, the double line edges on the dragoon saddle furniture took quite a bit of tending to. It's not much of an issue to get a nice parallel set of lines on a single figure, but getting a consistent pattern across multiple figures is another matter. It winds up being one of those inverse painting effects, something you expend extra effort on so that it doesn't get noticed.
For me, each set of figures tends to call for a different emphasis.  On these figures, it was bringing out the details of the strapping and equipment against the palette of the utilitarian dragoon uniform.
Although the 1st Dragoons have a standard bearer instead of a musician, I couldn't resist doing their trumpeter, too--so I added him as a specialty/command figure. 
The newly fielded Northstar Prussian dragoon brigade on parade.

Excelsior!

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I'm happy with how they came out.

      Delete
  2. Lovely blue shades and great looking dragoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Humbrol Matte WWI blue makes a nice cornflower blue--in this case highlighted with Humbrol Matte Mid-blue (and then just a touch of Model Master Light Gray).

      Delete
  3. Yes, they look wonderful!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee, Stokes: looking forward to seeing your Bosniaks (speaking of eye candy).

      Delete
  4. Very nice, I found going through the photo sequence three times - enjoyed, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to provide a bit of eye candy in return for the enjoyment I get from perusing others' blogs (yours included!).

      Delete
  5. Those pikelhaubes make me want to paint Prussians now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiked headgear: sort of like "spiked punch"--can be intoxicating.

      Delete
  6. At the moment I have just the one Prussian Dragoon unit using Foundry's minis. At first the fact they were toting their carbines wasn't to my liking, but they have sort of grown on me. Nice work on these sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave--the convention of having dragoon figures toting carbines is not my favorite, either, I have to admit, particularly if you're talking anything from about 1796 or later. Like you, though, I've come to accept my unit of Foundry dragoons.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking dragoon unit and yes the strap details in the back shots are really excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. It took some time looking at the naked lead to figure out what all those details were. I hope the pictures help others who might be painting these figs.

      Delete
  8. Nice job! I like the inverse painting part. Good turn of phrase. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew: you may on me rely to come up with a backwards way things putting :)

      Delete
    2. OMG you’re on a roll! 😀

      Delete
  9. Oooh, those are lovely, Ed! I will keep these in mind if I want to expand my FPW units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. I look forward to seeing your take on these. "If," that is, you add them :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice indeed Ed...
    I do like the sky blue uniforms... they stand out nicely.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. Prussian dragoon blue and Bavarian cornflower blue are close cousins :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...