Sunday, June 17, 2018

PRINZ FRIEDERICH KARL COMMAND STAND (+) DONE


Following on from the previous WIP post, here is the finished Prussian command stand vignette, based on and inspired by the 1866 Prussian Army. Above, Prinz Friederich Karl confers with an Adjutant of the German General Staff. As usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX.
On these higher level command stands, I include dice frames, in case I need to do some form of command tracking. I also put a small metal square on the base which allows me to mount a flag as a bit of eye candy or to signify some special status (there is small rare earth magnet under the flag base). The above flag is from the excellent GMB DesignsTo complete the above command vignette, I used the General Staff Adjutant in the excellent Great War Miniatures 1914 German High Command set . The 1866 and 1914 uniforms are close enough that it is mainly a matter of color scheme to represent the earlier period.
Having acquired the 1914 high command set, I couldn't pass up on the splendid general officers in overcoats (above).  I painted these with only a vague idea of how I might use them.  However, once done, I decided to put them together as a bonus command stand. 
Now I have another high level Prussian command stand if I need one, which is what I tell myself.  The reality is that I just had to create some sort of display for these splendid figures (I hope you're happy, Aly!).  It's not as if this hobby is about utility, anyway. 

But I digress. In the process of putting this post together, I've also gathered some shots to put together another post illustrating my figure basing scheme, which some have asked for.  I hope to put together a report on that later this summer. 
 Excelsior!

18 comments:

  1. I like your set up for the command bases .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, GS Svjek: thanks.

      Delete
  2. Agreed! Very handsome painting and basing.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan: always good to have you check in.

      Delete
  4. Two lovely command stands!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of appreciation always appreciated: thanks, Iain.

      Delete
  5. Me too! I like the figures and I like the bases with the various holders, very practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross. I try to make to make the practical at least blend in, if not enhance, the aesthetic.

      Delete
  6. Damn fine looking fellows...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work on the bases. They seem very versatile. 😀
    One can never have too many good looking commanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope enough is never enough, because I’m starting to eye some loose figures to make another command vignette (I think I need to get started on a “real” unit to snap me out of it!)

      Delete
  8. Nicely done, useful and the paint job on the figure looks even better based up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. It is interesting to see the added dimensions (literally and figuratively) that basing figures brings.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...