Wednesday, November 14, 2018

HONVED COMMAND CONVERSIONS: WORK IN PROGRESS

Although there are mounted Hungarian command figures in the pipeline coming from Steve Barber Models (one of which I actually commissioned), there are none to be had at the moment (well, there is a mounted general officer, but I'm not particularly taken by the look of him: a matter of taste; what can I say?).  Thus, I've decided to go ahead with some conversions of my own  (big surprise, right?) to both get some figures on the table now and also because I fancy the way that they will look (and probably because I have a problem and can't stop doing these conversions...help me!)...


 LTG Artur Georgei

Looking about, I found figures suitable to do three commanders.  As usual, in this post you may clix pix for BIG PIX.  First up, there is  Lt Gen Artur Georgei, pictured above (image taken from the indispensible Gyozo Somogyi Honved Army 1848-49).
For LTG G, I went with this figure from the Perry Miniatures ACW Confederate Commanders set. He's pretty close, to include the high boots. Two key correspondences on the Perry fig are the short jacket and the brimmed hat (although the turned up corner is a bit of a license: you can't have it all when converting!)
I added a feather to the hat using lead foil reinforced by J&B Kwik Weld (miracle stuff for metal on metal and jobs like this). I shaved down the details--the vest, cravat, and holster. I covered over the details on the "gunslinger" belt and buckle with some green stuff to create a sash.  The lapels aren't quite right, but they'll actually be a better platform to paint-in the button braiding details.   I think this fellow will be quite snappy when done.

 Honved Staff Officer In the Uniform of a Border Regiment
.
Next up, I decided that I could add this rather dandy looking Grenz officer to the general's staff.  (Image again taken from the excellent Smogyi text).   
For this fellow, I once again turned to my go-to conversion figure, the Spanish Colonel from the Perry Carlist War Isabelino Foreign Command set.  Readers of this blog may recall that I've converted this same figure into both a Danish Chief of Staff and an Austrian General
For this conversion, I added the feather tuft on the headgear using green stuff (as I have before), and I shaved down the epaulettes, buttons, and other details on the coat and hat. This will replicate the clean lines of the uniform and allow me to paint-in the single row of buttons in place of the double that the figure had. The coat isn't an exact match for the Grenz officer's tailcoat, but it is close enough to my eye and will look right from all but a head on viewing angle. 

Count Dembinski
 Honved General Staff Officer (left) in Slant Cap (right)

For the third and last command figure, I can represent either Count Dembinski or a Honved General Staff Officer (images once again from the  Smogyi text).  I haven't decided yet.  Both would be in the green jacket and pelisse. The major difference would be the color of the slant cap.  The staff officers wore green hats. 
For this conversion, I used a combination of a Steve Barber Senior Honved dismounted command figure and a Foundry Austrian Red Hussar from their Maximillian Adventure range. I chose the latter because it has the distinctive (and spot on) mid century hussar attila (and is an excellent figure sculped by Aly Morrison, of course: can't go wrong!).
Starting Point (left): The Austrian red hussar and the Honved command figure. The conversion (right): the head of the Honved figure on the torso of the red hussar (sorry, Aly!).  The proportions between the SB head and the Foundry torso meshed very well, I think.  I'm leaning towards painting this fellow up in the Count Dembinski motif as opposed to the staff officer, but you'll have to tune in again see which one it will be.

And that, dear readers, is what I'm up to at the moment.  
 Excelsior!

16 comments:

  1. Ed, you have become quite the uniformologist and converter for this period. I enjoy seeing your research and conversions very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. One of the joys of blogging is being able to share this sort of thing, which otherwise would be a solitary business due to its obscurity.

      Delete
  2. This sort of thing is one of the joys of exploring the less well trodden paths of miniature wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, sort of like casting your own figs...

      Delete
  3. Interesting research, nice choice of figures and great conversions!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain, I'm happy with them so far. Hopefully, they'll come through as hoped once painted.

      Delete
  4. I'm rather intreaged with this project Ed. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. Next step, the horses (blech)!

      Delete
  5. Looking good Ed. A lovely set of miniatures to work on for your command. Are you aware of General Bem's command pack available from Steve Barber Models?

    https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/28mm-hungarian-generals/645-28mm-general-bem-vignette.html

    All the best,

    GH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GH. Yes, I have the Gen'l Bem set. Before that came out, I had picked up the Confederate command fig with the intent of converting him in this role, so I thought I'd follow through on that.

      Delete
  6. Looking good Ed...
    Of course you have some top class building material... :-) :-)
    I actually looked at the photo before I read your words... I was thinking....hmmmm! Where have I seen these before... ah! Well...
    Looking forward to seeing the finished toys.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry--I'll also be painting the excellent Austrian Red Hussar figures as well (sometime down the road)--as Austrian volunteer hussars (same uniforms!).

      Delete
  7. I find it just neat that you know where to for figures that are close to what you want! Even this simple step is beyond me and if I can’t buy a particular figure then I don’t get to have one.
    You’re knowledge and attention to detail really shines through. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew, It could be that I spend too much time and brai power (a limited resource) surfing among the toys on the interwebs...but I'll take "knowledge and attention to detail!"

      Delete
  8. Great stuff Ed. Well worth the extra effort for the single personality figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. I hope to get stuck in to them over the Turkey Day break!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...