Sunday, September 29, 2019

OF FLIP PHONES AND UN-CONVENTION REPORTS (BARRAGE 2019)

My Flip Phone--Deployed for Action!
As the above image attests, dear readers, I am among the rearguard of those who still think of their phones (even of the mobile/cellular variety) as "phones." Thus, when "upgrading" my phone a few years ago, the only non "smart" phone option was the above, a "ruggedized" flip phone for outdoorsy types: shock proof, waterproof, and small profile to fit in pockets.  Minimalist thing that it is, I happily took it--I must add that it does have a rather clunky ability to do texts and it does have minimal Bluetooth capability.  I only found out the latter when setting up my new car's hands-free calling thingy (which requires a connection to a phone, ostensibly a smart one). 
Now, working at a University in the US for the last decade or more, I have seen lots of trends arise, some passing, some becoming the new norm (motor scooters, for instance, are ubiquitous and here to stay, wheras they were few and far between when I first hit campus).  Nowadays, I witness scenes like the above on a daily basis--only magnified by about 10.  The few students I see in view who aren't walking in supplication to their phones have them, appendage-like, extending from an arm (in a hand that is now useless except as an accessory to said phone).  Whilst I'm walking across campus, or anywhere for that matter, my flip phone is not only not in-hand, but it is usually tucked away in a bag (sometimes a pocket); quite often, I may even venture forth sans-phone entirely (gasp!).  Needless to say, although I am reasonably comfortable with Information Tech and things digital, I have no intention of joining the smart-phone processional.  But I digress (meander?).

 Image from Giphy
Those few rugged individuals who have the stamina to still be reading this (bless you!) may at this point be wondering what all this has to do with our beloved hobby--and this blog in particular.  And I'm glad that you asked.  What this retrograde individualism on my part means is that I still must use an actual camera to take hobby pictures.  I have two, actually:  a portable Cannon PowerShot N for when I'm on the road and a Nikon Coolpix L340 for home use.  I might add that both of these are digital.  
BARRAGE T-Shirt
This, friends, brings us to the Un-convention(al) convention report.  I recently attended the most excellent 2019 Barrage Convention.  Here is my rump-report.  This small convention was held in Maryland, some distance from my current abode in New Hampshire.  I made the trip based on nostalgia: I used to live in Maryland and had attended this convention then (when it was held in the cafeteria of a high school in Baltimore).  I had always thought about taking in the convention again, and this year I took a day off and acted on it.  Despite the convention having grown to two days, and being years on from my last experience, I can say that the convention still maintains its wonderful "family" feel from before (right down to the home-made chili served up on Friday evening).
A Baroque Battles Game
This year, I ran my Baroque Battles Battle of Lutzen Game on Friday evening.  Despite Saturday really being the main convention day, my game was filled with six spirited players (several of whom had made the trip from New Orleans).  The convention staff were superb: one couldn't ask for better support as a game master.  Now to the nib: although I had packed carefully and had all the necessities for the game, I had failed to pack my camera! (Hey, I had my phone, though).  There you have it: the payoff--no camera+no smart phone=no piccies. 

In the absence of any pictures taken by me, I can only link you to this posting on the convention on The Miniatures Page  and suggest the Little Wars TV report on last years Barrage Convention (I believe they were in attendance at Barrage this year, so there should be another convention report forthcoming).   Thanks to the HAWKS for running this excellent small convention and thanks to the players (whose names I failed to record--sort of like forgetting my camera). 

I suspect that some day, sooner rather than later, I may be obliged to get a "smart" phone simply to maintain functionality (more and more things are coming out that require an "app" to operate, and there are even starting to be processes at work that require a workaround to access via means other than smartphone).  I'll try to look on the bright side when that day arrives: at least then I'll always be equipped to take pictures of toy soldiers.
Excelsior!

12 comments:

  1. Like you, I am reasonably proficient when it comes to daily use of digital technology, but I simply don't get the the obsession with, lets be honest, blinking gadgetry that so many claim they cannot live without. Not that many years ago, there was idle chit-chat between students when one entered the college classroom before class started. Now? Dead silence. Whether it's texting friends, flipping through one's musical playlist, social media, or whatever else they might be staring intently at. None of it strikes me as that interesting. I'd rather talk to a real person.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and often students refuse (or are literally unable) to put their phones aside once classes begin (despite instructions to the contrary).

      Delete
  2. My family finally took my flip phone away from me one Christmas and gave me an iPhone. I do not carry it with me unless needed and it is never considered and appendage. I am a minimalist and still use an "old fashioned" digital camera for photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you have to undergo and "intervention" having it wrapped up as a Christmas present seems the best way to go :).

      Delete
  3. I gave up my flip phone about a year and a half ago when AT&T refused to allow me to use their network with it. I still can't get used to carrying it around and using it for anything other than a phone or camera. Surf the web with it? Hardly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feelin' ya, AJ. The question of functionality is a real issue (one that may decide things for me).

      Delete
  4. Feeling a little out of step here, all my photos are taken on my phone, pretty much all my blog posts are written on my phone, almost all my blog viewing is done on my phone, loads of my work is now done on my phone,if I had to only use my laptop I can't see that I would post anything or read much, I'm a bit of a luddite to be honest it's just the convenience really, but I don't walk around using them, that's just plain stupid and asking for an accident in my book!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I think I may have gone a bit overboard on the smart-phone critique, and by extension users, which buried my original point that because I had forgotten my camera, I didn't have any pictures to share. My own lovely wife is a smart phone user, albeit not to the extent of being a "supplicant" as pictured in my post. I must admit that in her hands, it is a device that facilitates many things (and sometimes on my behalf--truth in lending).

      Delete
  5. I once left my house without my iPhone...I turned around and went back to get it and was late to work. 😀

    Funny post about the lack of pics. I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even worse, now that I think about it. I actually had my Ipad with me--it didn't occur to me, until now, that I could have taken pictures with it (doh!). A device can only be as smart as the user.

      Delete
    2. That’s even funnier! 😀

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...