Wednesday, March 25, 2020

ROMANIAN CHASSEURS: RTW

          Romanian Chasseurs: Outpost Wargames Service Russo Turkish War Figures. 

Greetings, fellow shut-ins.  The momentum from the recently completed Dorobanti, carried me through the completion of two more special units of Romanians: Chasseurs.  Although produced by Outpost Wargames Service, these figures are available in the US via Badger Games LLC (shout out to both).  In this post, as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX.
 Romanian Army of the Russo-Turkish War Era: Chasseur in the center.

I won't reiterate the brief history of the Romanian Army that I did in my last post. For more on that, I would refer you to the excellent Balkan Military History Blog. However, I will say that it is an elegantly outfitted force (adopting uniforms along French lines, I believe).
The chasseurs are particularly interesting, with the universal green distinctions for light troops and headgear reminiscent of contemporary light troops like Bersaligere and Austrian Jagers. Reaching back to the Hungarian Revolt (1848/49), the headgear is reminiscent of that worn by the Hungarian/Hoved rifles--perhaps indicating a local, Eastern European tradition as well. Here is my study of how I approached these figures:
I embellished the musicians by painting in the wings (which aren't part of the sculpt) and doing their plumes in white.
 Inspiration for handling the trumpeters (above).
Three piles of equipment topped off by hats...

Here, I have to add a bit of a rant. Although wonderful sculpts, I hated painting these figures. As I might have mentioned before, I run hot and cold on painting being a chore. In this case, these figures were definitely in the "chore" category. I was put off because these figures conform to the trend that I find most annoying in figures nowadays. That is, putting every damn piece of equipment that anyone can think of on them. Now, it is true that soldiers are depicted in combat wearing their gear, and it is also true that the French infantryman of the era, in particular, are famous for being weighted down under their equipment. And it is also true that they did go into combat with their gear.  But it is also equally true that soldiers stripped down for combat as well. It's called "combat order."
You will note the complete absence of equipment in the above illustration of the Romanians storming the Grivitza Redoubt at Plevna.

There is something called "marching order": that is when infantry are loaded down like mules to carry all their equipment. That is what these figures (and all the others like them) are actually portraying.  Now I get that you can't satisfy everyone, and that failing to depict equipment slung all over figures would probably fail to meet the expectations of some other sector of gamers: fair enough and fine for them.  I happen to have other preferences.  All I'm saying is that it would be refreshing if there were at least a few figures out there that were less encumbered in to order to balance out this trend. Not only would seeing the uniform peeking out from under the equipment every now and then be refreshing, but given the time that it takes me to paint figures, it is extremely vexing when the majority of it is spent on household detritus: pans, cups, blankets, bags, pouches, cases, shovels, sticks, etc. I can deal with a reasonable amount of it (sort of like doing horses: you get it done as a necessity), but if I wanted this sort of thing to be the main effort, then I would be doing doll houses rather than toy soldiers: end of rant.  
Back to more pleasant thoughts: I included this shot just because it captures how dynamic these sculpts are (when you're not staring at their equipment). Despite my rant, I would still highly recommend these figures.  They are lovely. 

As usual, I did a few on individual bases: always handy for light troops just in case you have a rule set that needs to represent screens or pickets. 

Excelsior!

20 comments:

  1. These Romanians make a nifty army. Nice work! I agree with your over-burdened model rant. Mid-19th Century French always seem to be modeled with accoutrements galore especially Zouaves and Turcos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan: the French would be seem to be the "poster children" of the encumbered look :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely job, amazing that a uniform based around brown can look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. I agree, it is rather unexpected. After doing the brown-coated Hungarians, I gained an appreciation for the possibilities, though.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking units and write up Ed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil: some day, I may post something a bit less gabby and a bit more graphic (but so far, that hasn't been the mode).

      Delete
  4. Another really interesting unit which have turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you drop in: thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  5. Another brilliant looking unit Ed. I do enjoy learning about this period in history from your blog. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray: always happy if I can inform and entertain :)

      Delete
  6. Battle order for me though marching figures in full gear doubtless have a place.

    Slouchhats, browncoats, light blue trousers, I think I might have some confederates who could answer that description, though the colours might be rather more faded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to say the effort on these lads has paid off with some great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross: the equipment check list in your first post provides food for thought on connections to other eras and troops.

      Delete
  8. I also find painting over equipped figures to be a chore. Would you really go into battle with a huge backpack on? Just makes you a bigger target.
    Nonetheless, these came out looking great and sometimes you got to grind through a project for the greater good of gaming. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew, I'm happy to have taken a bullet for the cause (so to speak) with these figures!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Ed...
    I’ve always liked the look of brown uniforms with coloured facings...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. I always thought the brown/blue combination was particularly nice.

      Delete
  11. More lovely looking Romanians! I kind of like the kitchen sink look for second empire French, it's the image that comes to mind when I think of them, but I'm agnostic on your Romanians so go ahead and have them in battle order!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I definitely agree on 2nd Empire French: the load is part of their look, for sure. Despite my kvetching, I do like the outcome of these figs (equipment included): that may have been lost in the translation.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...