Saturday, May 4, 2019

THREE MEN ON A HORSE: HONVED MOUNTED COMMANDERS (1848-49)


Steve Barber Models 28mm Honved Mounted Officers: Just released!

The painting mill remains active here at Meanderer central, with a modest but important contribution to report for the Honved/Hungarian contingent...
...actually, it's three men on three horses (but that don't scan as well). These are figures I commissioned to provide a much needed "bog standard" mounted commander for the Honved forces.  
The inspiration was this splendid mounted battalion commander as found in the excellent (and oft cited) Somogoyi The Honved Army, 1848-1849. I must say that the figure is a spot on rendering of the subject: well done, Steve B!  In this post, as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX.
Even though the figure is a good representation, when I first received these my expectations were not high: they would fit the need, but not be very striking.  The deeper I got into painting, however, the more impressed I became with the sculpts.  In the end, they certainly do hold their own as stand-out command figures among the colorful panoply of the Honved Army.
My Honved/Hungarian HQ, previously consisting of several conversions, is now complete with the addition of these three spiffing mounted command figures. 


Excelsior!

 

14 comments:

  1. Nice figure and beautifully painted Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different but very attractive once painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. These figs were "sleepers" in that way.

      Delete
  3. A smart looking trio of officers! Nice brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. Getting the parallel lines on the shabraques to look consistent across three figs was something of a challenge (I only pulled out small clumps of hair in so doing--hardly noticeable).

      Delete
  4. They really look cool, nice one Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Ed...
    The description ‘brown uniform’ does not reflect how colourful the Hungarian Army was.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. I hope to soon post a "pass in review" of the Hungarians that will illustrate the point nicely.

      Delete
  6. These look great. I love the mustaches. 😀
    (I focus on silly things).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew: I knew we could count on you for keeping it real ;)

      Delete
  7. What splendid command figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I was pleasantly surprised at how they came out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...