Monday, June 28, 2021

A PERSONAL MILESTONE

 
The Meanderer...transitioning from figure 2 to figure 1 (we'll leave it an open question which is the wasted and which is the useful life...)
 
I generally like to keep this blog centered on hobby topics, but I thought I'd follow up on something I had mentioned in earlier posts--and mark the day.  Last fall, I accepted an early retirement package from the University where I had been employed for the last 14 years (I along with 350 of my colleagues who also took up the offer: quite a stampede)...it was one of those cost cutting measures brought on by the pandemic (which many suspect provided cover for ideas that were already being cooked up for dumping people, but we'll leave that bit out).  In order to provide for the maximum transition and continuity in the program I ran, I remained on the job until the last day allowed, which was Friday, June 25--my last day.  Thus, today marked my first post-work day, and it was a fine thing.  I spent the day watching the Euro Football Cup matches (Spain v Croatia and France v Switzerland), doing a spot of painting, walking the dog (and watching the dog swim in her kiddie pool: it's hot in these parts), posting some rules questions on a forum (Pikeman's Lament)--and for the first  time in years--NOT having a stream of thoughts and concerns always going on in the background about what was transpiring at work or would be waiting for me upon my return to work, or wondering if I should be checking work emails...because I don't work there any more, and I ain't gonna return!    

I'm still decompressing--but am looking forward to the next stage, which will have more time, energy, and emotion available for personal pursuits (hobby activities, of course, being chief among them).

Excelsior!

 

32 comments:

  1. Congratulations my friend! I took a buy out package from my work prompted by the pandemic last June. Without the stress of work, the last year has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. The stress-drop is already palpable.

      Delete
  2. Well done, and well earned! Enjoy.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stokes. I think sticking it out to the completion of the academic year before exiting was the right thing to do, so I can walk away with a clear conscience.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Ed! Enjoy!

    Janine took retirement in January. Me, my work status is in limbo. Perhaps we can now finally get together for a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark: not surprised to hear that Janine punched out (lots of that going on in higher ed now). More time for toys for us, though!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations ! , I took voluntary early retirement 8 years ago and can honestly say I've enjoyed every minute of it - having a dog and a consuming hobby is a great plus as well (I have both as well) , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog + Hobby = Man's best friend + --don't tell the wife :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I took early retirement and have never regretted it. Here’s to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll toast to early retirement (and I'm sensing a trend here...)

      Delete
  6. Well done, and here's to future meanderings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aaron: all who meander may be lost (but it may not matter to them--there's the diff).

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, nice to step off the merry-go-round :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm: now I can go in my own circles!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Ed ....a bit sad that we all seem to have a similar reaction, somewhat of an indictment on the fact that we would all rather be doing something else rather than the jobs we have to do forty plus hours per week! I have at least another six years to go but would stop work tomorrow if I could afford to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith: good observation. The link between identity and occupation seems to have been broken somewhere along the line. Even for those in professional fields, the hassles have overcome the rewards in many cases.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, Ed! I planning to end working next January with the state - not a retirement per se as I won't be able to collect my retirement from them until about 5 years later, but I have other savings and should get my Social Security in 2 years. The longer I've worked, the more the first cartoon image seems the life not wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of the package given that this was my second career: I retired from the military, so have that pension coming in--and I hit Social Security eligibility this summer: I'm looking forward to exploring figure 1 :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! One of the best, if not the best, decision I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross--given that this was not a forced choice, I believe that the decision will be a happy one (as with so many others).

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! I hope your retirement will be filled with activities you enjoy! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew—blogging and gaming included 😁

      Delete
  12. Enjoy your new-found freedom. I accepted redundancy in 2001, and it was the most life-enhancing thing I had done for years!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob: I had been contemplating (and posturing) for early retirement, but had not settled on the timing: this opportunity came along and decided the issue. Not only via blogging, but in my immediate circle of friends, there are a good number who have opted out: I have yet to hear of one who regrets it.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations, I retired three years ago after thirty-two years in Law Enforcement. It was quite a change. It has allowed me to enjoy my hobbies more than ever and acquire a few more! I hope that you have many, and deeply fulfilling, "wasted years"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anton: here's to wasting time productively!

      Delete
  14. I hope you find a nice balance, sounds like you're going to from you're plan!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain: let's hope that there was enough advance planning so that I can not worry about plans anymore :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...