Wednesday, July 7, 2021

RUSSIAN RIFLE BATTALIONS: RUSSO TURKISH WAR ERA

 Outpost Wargame Service Russo-Turkish War Russian Line Infantry in Firing (Kneeling and Standing) Poses: Painted to Represent Russian Rifles.
 
After the last post's brief sojourn into the "real world," we now meander back to things toy soldier.  Specifically, dear readers, I am happy to report the completion of the rifle contingent of my Russo-Turkish War Era Russian Infantry.  Although one company of each line battalion was designated as rifles--and it was not unusual for them to be converged into battalions--the Russian Army of the Period also had independent rifle battalions, which were grouped into independent rifle brigades (of four rifle battalions).  Two of these were mobilized for the Russo Turkish War, and one was assigned to the Russian Army of the South (according to OOBs in Barry's War in the East).   Here is  my study of how I rendered these units. As usual, in this post, you may clix pix for BIG PIX...
There is no definitive information (that I could find) on the uniform of the independent rifle battalions.  In general, they seem to have worn the same uniform as the line infantry, except for their distinctions (more on that in the next bit, dear reader).  These units will provide the "Jagers" of the Russian Army in my system (well, any system, really--nearly every army of this era had a corps of jager-styled infantry--and these would be the Russians').  I used figures in firing poses to appropriately set the rifle battalions apart from the (forthcoming) line infantry, which will be in advancing poses.  
The Ray Lucas piece on the Armies of the Russo Turkish War in Miniature Wargames #20 provided a hint on the rifle uniforms, saying that the "men of the rifle battalions wore crimson trimmings." I translated this into red piping on the cap bands and epaulettes--consistent with the fashion of the era for jagers. I also included a red stripe on the trousers, a distinction that I thought not inappropriate for these special troops. Like my my earlier Bulgarian Legion and forthcoming Russian line infantry, these troops are in winter (green) trousers.  Most of the examples found online of RTW Russian infantry amongst fellow gamers has them in summer white trousers with green blouses.  Those look fine, and that will be the look of my Russian Guard infantry, but I very much like the look of the green over green for the line. 
The new Rifle Battalions, plus pickets, join the Russian Army establishment.  Given that these were unfamiliar figures, it was rather slow going at first.  But I now know my way around them and painting will be more efficient going forward (relatively speaking), which is a good thing since the next project will be the BIGGEE...
...a batch of 58 figures forming the Russian line infantry. Good thing I just retired 😜
 
Excelsior! 

23 comments:

  1. In my experience retirement is very conducive to the painting of figures .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third time lucky....great looking figures I look forward to seeing the line infantry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith: I'm soldiering away on them making slow but steady progress--I try to do a session per day, maybe two, knocking out one color or detail at a time.

      Delete
  3. Above won't make much sense but I have now written five comments but three vanished without trace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar bug hit me when trying to leave a comment on a blog about two weeks ago (one that I had left comments on previously). Odd stuff.

      Delete
    2. I may be having similar issues posting here. Let's see...

      Delete
  4. Lovely uniform and brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Let's see if I can manage some consistency with the line infantry!

      Delete
  5. Outstanding work, Ed! Tackling 58 figures in one lot is a big task. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan: the biggest single load since I did the Romanian infantry. At least I've proven to myself that it can be done :)

      Delete
  6. Very pretty Ed…
    This is going to be a very attractive army when it’s finished…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. Getting past the line infantry should get me within striking distance of actually finishing the project. The key will be to not flit off or stall on these (but isn't that always the case?).

      Delete
  7. Nice looking miniatures and your attention to the uniforms continues.
    What better way to dive into retirement than taking on a massive painting project. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Perfect activity for retirement!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Stew: Aside from explaining how I arrived at the end product, I hope that my posts can also be a resource, particularly for topics (like in this case) where there isn't much information. ...here's to a busy retirement!

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking rifles, lovely piping!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain: I am guessing that the piping on the hat bands probably won't be very noticeable to the eye on the table--but I'll know it's there (and it will always be there to be discovered by someone who might examine a figure more closely).

      Delete
  9. Your posts are a great source of information and inspiration (as well as being great in their own right!) as I have recently expanded my interest in 'things Ottoman' to include the Russo-Ottoman War of 1877. Painting is a way off for me, but I have been looking at lots of your past posts and the pictures and links included as I 'gather resources'!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, James. I'm always happy to lead others astray :). I've enjoyed the wealth of information you present on your blogs as well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...