Sunday, May 6, 2018

LOOT THE BAGGAGE TRAIN!: HUZZAH! CONVENTION PLAYTEST GAME


 One of George's dragoons shooting it out with two of AJ's Croats

A series of events have put me behind where I'd like to be in in relation to the upcoming Huzzah! convention--and the game that I am going to be running there!   I finally was able to put together a small playtest this last Friday. Given the limitations on time and prep, my aims were specific, looking to proof the rules, the tracking systems, and an overall reality check on the mechanics.  As a result of this playtest, I'll be doing some important revising of the scenario and rules before Huzzah!  Thanks to AJ and George for their suggestions!  I did not come away with many pictures or much of a narrative given that I had to take a hand in playing, taking notes, and running the playtest.  However, you will find an excellent synopsis of the action on AJ's Wargaming Blog.  In this report, I'll briefly outline the scenario,  share some points from my perspective as game master, and share some eye candy (of course!).   As usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX....
"It's quiet. Too quiet. I don't like it..."
 
The game title is "Loot the Baggage Train!" (30 Years War):  This game represents that moment so characteristic of this age when the lure of looting the baggage train overcame any  interest in the battle. In this game, players will control a file of dragoons, croats, or "Polish cossacks" as they all converge on a semi-abandoned baggage train. Loot the train; loot the other players. It's every man for himself: the player who comes away with the most swag, wins. As you can see, it will be a very serious affair...
The scene is a baggage train area centered on a post-station, with stable and a few lodgings clustered around.  A few demoralized guards remain.  These can put up only a token resistance, and the players have the chance to buy them off and turn them on the other players (like I said, a very serious game).  The playtest setup (above) was rather minimalist, but it allowed me to test the geometry of the action as well as the travel times across the table.  The convention game will have more touches, showing roads and having more features to round out the look of the game. The level of the game is 1 figure = 1 man. Originally, each player was going to run 6 figures, but the playtest, with three players running 5 figures each, clearly showed that this would be too many: probably the most valuable lesson of the playtest!  As a result, the convention game, with six players, will probably have 3 or 4 figures per player (I'm still mulling that one over).
Sprinkled about the area are potential swag locations (some blanks), marked by my Universal Activation Markers  (the green disks, if you aren't familiar).  I had a separate sheet listing what was in each. Given that I was playing in this game, I placed these face down and blindly. This turned out to be a good mechanic: face down=undisturbed spot.  Face up =discovered.  I'll use this in the convention game. 
The tracking system for each figure (above left) worked well enough, but there will be improvements between now and the convention to streamline and make it work better. With any luck, and a big assist from my friend AJ,  I'll have a much less fiddly version of these made out of wood using pegs.   You may also notice the old school wooden Risk pieces (which I picked up on eBay) used as tracking markers (above left) and activation markers (above right).  I like the look and feel of them, and intend to use them in the future as well.
The set of tactical markers I produced worked well enough in the game, too. Above, one of my trusty dragoons kneels to cover his mate as he works his way down the street. 
In the playtest,each player ran 5 figures. Above, the Croats lined up before the playest, In the convention game, there will be two sets of Croats, along with three sets of dragoons, and one set of "Polish Cossacks." Each figure will have a mounted and dismounted version. In the playtest, each side also had a cache, represented by a pack horse, but these wound up being peripheral to play and more of a distraction, so they'll be dropped.
AJ suggested that the rules could be adjusted for Old West Shootouts. Looking at the above picture, I must say that the situation certainly is reminiscent of "Dodge City."   

Speaking of pictures, these low level games do tend to produce cinematic moments rather unlike other games, which is a large part of their allure...
My dragoon leader (above left) charges down the road to deliver a pistol shot from horseback (which missed) at AJ's Croat.  (Above right) Two of George's dismounted dragoons hold the stable yard against a mounted dragoon trying to crash his way in. 

Again, thanks to AJ and George for helping with the playtest, from which important points were gleaned--as usual.  Not only will the game be much more ready for the convention, but I will be much better able to run it given the valuable practice. 


Excelsior!


10 comments:

  1. Looks good, should be fun. 11 days left for prep, so, no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure at all...maybe I'll start painting up some figures for the game :)

      Delete
  2. An interesting looking game, Ed. Good luck running it at Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I hope to remember to take enough pictures to post a report.

      Delete
  3. Nice pictures, handsome minis and terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, the Old Glory 17th Century figures are simply top notch. I recommend anyone interested in the era check them out.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting game! Good luck at the convention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew. Down the road, this will be yet another set of rules I'll be able to post!

      Delete
  5. That looks like a lot of fun...

    You really should be painting your toys right up to the day before the game...
    The smell of fresh varnish always improves a demo/participation game...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...