Tuesday, April 2, 2019

ONE STEP UP...TWO STEPS BACK...


Above, lovely pro-painted figure (right) as done in earlier batch, and (left) a recently received figure in the process of being repainted (straps underpainted in black and overpainted in white: still to go, trousers, facings, buckles). 
 First step done: repainted straps and belting.

In one of those happy/frustrating moments, I recently received a long anticipated parcel from a pro painting service. It was a consignment I had commissioned to round out my Austrian infantry (repurposed Perry British Intervention Force British Infantry) and artillery. I wanted to avoid the challenges of the white on white: things like black lining the strapping--as well as assembling and painting the artillery pieces.  I turned to a painting service that I had used before. They had done a spiffing job on my first batch, but unfortunately, this second was not up to snuff. Not only were the straps not black lined (as they had been the first time), but many of the details were left unfinished on many figures--most notably the facings, belts, buckles, and some of the black ammo pouches. I've seen this before, unfortunately, but mainly with black primed figures from pro painters. I get that the process of black priming and then hitting details with color is a shortcut to begin with, but there is a point where it stops being a shortcut and starts being incomplete (things get left off). That's what happened here, only with white. The color match on the trousers between the earlier batch and this was too far off for my likes as well, but I can't blame the service for that, really. So, I wound up painting those, too.
I wound up redoing the guns as well. For some odd reason, this painting service does Austrian guns in what I can only describe as tan--not at all yellow.  This was not new. They did it with my first order, but at that time I had decided that I could live with the not quite right color rather than repainting the guns.  But when the second set of tan guns came in, it was too much. As long as I was tucking in to repaint all that infantry, I went for the guns, too (I will say that they did a splendid job on the gunners--those I didn't have to touch!). 
My new toys, all done--with a proper line of canary yellow guns!   

I generally expect to have to touch up pro painted figs. This was beyond the norm, though. I have to say that this was out of character for this service (I have used them on multiple occasions before, as have my friends).  I think they just got rushed over the holiday period when these were being done.  The repaint task was still miles ahead of starting with naked lead.  I guess the upside is that I can say in truth that I pretty much painted these, or can at least take more credit than one might otherwise do for pro painted figs  (we'll leave out that I paid for the privilege of doing so).   Ah well, in the end, it all worked out. On to the next project!
 Excelsior!

16 comments:

  1. That's too bad! Perhaps it is time to find another painting service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, it was a similar experience with black primed figures that caused me to switch to this service.

      Delete
  2. Great looking troops Ed, shame you had to repaint most of them yourself. I'd be a bit more miffed than you seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. It will make my next consignment a bit of a test case, smaller with a bit more guidance on execution to see if this was an abberation or a drop in standards.

      Delete
  3. When given lemons, make lemonade. Best to carry on and look for the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on the repaint. I’ve used painting services in the past and have been pleased with I got. I could live with the colors not being what I though in my minds eye bc differences would exist in real life and what not, but incomplete would be a deal breaker. Especially if I paid for those or for the higher standard. Maybe you could get a partial refund? Especially if you’re a repeat customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew. There was lots of stuff going on in other areas of non-toy soldier existence that defused the reaction I might have otherwise had. I figure that I was forced to do white on white, which I had been avoiding, so now I'm no longer averse to tackling something like this myself in the future.

      Delete
  5. Nice result and while good to be philosophical about these things its surely worth getting in touch,if only to give the supplier some feedback so that they can maintain standards and not lose custom. They do look lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Had I to do it over again, I would have first taken some pictures and then emailed them in order to provide the kind of feedback you suggest. I'm sure that would have been well received. But since I rather impulsively just tucked in, I figured that opportunity was gone.

      Delete
  6. I have a lovely ochre I like to use for Austrian gun carriages, but what you've called 'canary' seems to be spot on as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. I'll have to remember to check out the ochre you're using when I get the chance.

      Delete
  7. Is it possible that there has been a confusion, you asked for pro and got standard instead? Either way, I admire your relaxed approach and at least you now have a set that you are happy with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm. This particular service doesn't have those differing standards (good thought). I do think that they have grown since I first used them, so might be operating on a larger scale than earlier, which may account for some of the detail issues.

      Delete
  8. You’ve done a good job on these Ed... a nice choice of miniature as well.
    These days I tend to tweak most pre painted figures I get... mostly to get everything to fit in with my own style... although I do wonder if there is also a touch of OCD at play...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. Probably one of the reasons I seem to be taking this so well is that as you suggest, I expect to retouch (at some point it probably is more "repaint") pro painted figs so that they fit the overall look of my collection. I'd prefer to say it's a matter of aesthetics rather than my OCDness.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...