Tuesday, July 14, 2020

VIRTUAL CONFERENCE OF WARGAMERS (VCOW) 2020: SERIOUS FUN

 "Eye Candy" From the VCOW

Greetings, fellow shut-ins!  This is just a quick post to report on an excellent--and unprecedented--hobby experience I had this last weekend.  As an inveterate rules tinkerer and home rules writer, I have been an on and off member (via subscription) of the excellent UK based Wargames Developments for the last few years.  Each year, this longstanding group in the UK has been convening a Conference of Wargames to discuss game theory and design, play games, and socialize.  

Like most events, the pandemic curtailed any such gathering this year. However, the organizers moved the conference online (mainly via Zoom), making it the Virtual Conference of Wargamers (VCOW).  Suddenly, what had been out of the question became plausible: attending this event in the UK.  The only barrier (outside of a modest registration fee) would be the time zone difference (which did catch me up once). 

WHAT I DID: I attended the following sessions:

Friday:  
Welcome (Tim Gow)
Wargames: What and Why (Peter Perla)
Professional and Hobby Wargaming (Mark Herman)
Saturday:
Remote Wargaming (David Burden)
Wargaming & History  (Prof Gary Sheffield)
Defense and Recreational Wargaming (Graham Longley-Brown)
Sunday:
Adventures in Lockdown  (Mike Elliott)

I had intended to do one more session on Sunday, but my alarm failed me and I did not rise soon enough to make it for the 4:30 am start time here in Eastern Standard Time in the US.

Although there were opportunities for interaction during these talks, and the company was most cordial, I found myself mainly following along and just taking things in.  In short, I found that spending the weekend in a new (to me) community of gamers, talking gaming,  listening to talking about gaming, and looking forward to the next session about gaming, was a great boost to my wargaming mojo.  I both congratulate and thank the organizers and presenters of the VCOW!

WHAT I LEARNED: All the discussions of remote gaming brought home that maintaining the human/social element of the hobby--via Zoom and other means--had been (and continues to be) of primary importance, whether that be through distant gaming or just via connecting with colleagues and friends.  I know that in my club here in the US, for instance, there are some who have managed to do some remote gaming.  However, the "main event" has become weekly zoom get together on Sunday.  In this session, which can last anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, we just go around to each and do a "show and tell"--and chat in general from there.  This has been going on since March, and has become something of a new tradition, one that I suspect we'll probably be maintaining in some fashion into the future, post pandemic.  

WHERE WE ARE GOING: On the larger scale, I think the VCOW and similar events are a first step in opening up new dimensions in the hobby, and not just for remote gaming. In the same way that we tend to follow and comment on blogs of interest, and meet like minded people in those places, I could see those connections expanding into
opportunities for virtual gatherings for "show and tell," information sharing, or any number of things.  

WHERE WE WANT TO RETURN: The promise of the Brave New World of virtual gatherings aside,  I think we are all still are looking forward to the very retro pleasures of pushing actual toy soldiers on a table and shouting gleefully at other fellows in the room,  sans mask. 
Excelsior!

14 comments:

  1. Actually sounds like a really cool event. I like to think that one day I will learn a little about game theory and design. I guess you being able to attend remotely is one good thing at least to come out of this pandemic. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew: it seems that the organizers felt that it was a good enough experience that they probably will incorporate some kind of remote component in the future, even if they return to their traditional mode, so it's worth watching for in case you would want to sit in on anything.

      Delete
  2. It does sound like a great event. Probably made a lot better because it was via Zoom. We shall certainly be taking advantage of it more after the virus is gone. Its opened up so much for my group and we don't live far away from each other too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray: I know that I wasn't the only one in "attendance" from abroad, so it does seem to have expanded the event. I certainly couldn't have participated had it not been "virtual" so it was a good scene from my perspective.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good event and zoom meant you could use it,I know when I was working away from home for months at a time when my daughter was younger we used to play chess by Skype which was particularly sweet!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have used Zoom for work and our internal club socializing, this was a new experience--and opportunity--through such platforms. I'm hoping to cook up some remote gaming next.

      Delete
  4. Glad that you enjoyed VCOW ... and you might be interested to know that we hope to run another one in early 2021.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Bob. Thanks for your idea and efforts in flexing the conference online. I’m very interested to hear that there are plans to have another such iteration. I’ll have to make sure to keep my WD membership current!

      Delete
  5. This looks interesting, Ed. Perhaps, I may participate next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, Bob beat me to it (below) :). I'll also be following along and will be sure to mention it as well.

      Delete
  6. Jonathan Freitag,

    Just look out for announcements on the VCOW blog from September/October onwards.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked ED
    I also thought it was simply brilliant
    Not only the talks but the games were a success too!
    Hope to see you there again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Geordie: I certainly do intend to "attend" the next offering in this mode. It will be interesting to start recognizing faces and making more connections as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...