Saturday, August 29, 2020

GAME REPORT COMING

Napoleonic Action in the Peninsula

Well, it's been nearly a month since I've posted.  Just wanted to get a quick one in to show that I'm still here for the few followers who might be interested.  Returned to work amidst the pandemic this month, which has been both very challenging as well as consuming.  I've done some hobby tinkering, but haven't done much, and had very little energy left for blogging.  However, there has been a major development: I actually played a face to face game at my friend Mark's (of Mark D's Wargaming Blog), who graciously invited me over to his place. This was my first non virtual, real toy soldier game since February, something of a landmark--and even better since I took the day off from work for it.  It was both a return to the familiar but also a "different" experience playing again after so long, and still in the midst of this pandemic (although we were both safe).  We christened some of his new figures in a Napoleonic Skirmish set in the Peninsula--something we had played at his place in August two years previously, coincidentally (I guess this means that August is Napoleonic skirmish month for us).  Things remain busy at work, and I've got a spot of carpal tunnel going on that is hampering my keyboarding, but I hope to provide a game report in the next week.
    I will add a post-script here.  This is my first post using the new interface, and I'm glad that it is a brief one.  Change is always an adjustment, but I'm not taking a liking to the new dashboard and the stuff it brings. I don't understand the penchant for change for it's own sake in the computer/IT world.  When you're always screwing with a learning curve, it doesn't matter what the bells and whistles are--particularly if you don't need them.   My career(s) in three different sectors over my lifetime have taught me that being totally fluent in a less sophisticated platform is much more efficient--and produces a much better product--than operating in a fog in something new and shiny (harumph!).
 
POST POST SCRIPT:  After putting up this post, I noticed that my blog is not showing among the list of blogs with new posts on other blogs.  I haven't noticed that any of the blogs I'm following are not updating on my blog (ie, they seem to be updating fine--the thumbnail issue is separate).  So I'm wondering if this is a bug that has something to do with the new interface (some setting that changed without my knowing it: I haven't changed any of my settings myself)--and I'm also wondering if anyone else has noticed this happening with other blogs?  I'd appreciate it especially if any of the bloggists out there who may have my blog among their blog lists are seeing what I'm seeing (or should I say, not seeing what I'm seeing--ie, that this blog had a new post).  Thanks!
 
   Excelsior!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Ed! Your post notification is showing up in my Blogs Followed widget but no thumbnail so success there. I presented a solution to the missing thumbnail on my blog a week or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. It appears that under the new interface there is a lag between posting and updating on other lists that did not exist before (at least for my blog). I recall the thumbnail fix you posted. I thought that I had gone through that earlier and gotten past it, but I'll now tinker with it: thanks!

      Delete
  2. I saw your update on my blog's side roll, so looks good Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking game. Your post showed up in my blog reading list no bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks: I'm hoping to get the game report up soon.

      Delete
  4. Yes I got an update notification as well , great looking game .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info--was at a loss there for awhile.

      Delete
  5. I read all the blogs I follow via Feedly, and it has shown up there too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve: good to know about Feedly (something I wasn't aware of).

      Delete
  6. Glad you got a face to face game in Ed. Not sure when the Rejects will?
    There's around a 40 minute delay in posts showing up on feeds that I've noticed. Bit of a pain, hopefully they'll sort all the stooopid problems out soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray: good to hear the lag confirmed. I was wondering. Let's hope they fix the thumbnail thing, too (I had to do Jonathan's html fix to get that working--thanks again, Jonathan!). Looking forward to seeing a game report from the Rejects again.

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you back.

    You show up just fine on my blog list, pic and all. I've gotten used to the new interface, haven't reached the point of appreciating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross: I have to admit that I do think the font management is an improvement--no matter what I did, it seemed, the actual post didn't reflect anything I was intending. I like this in between sized font better (and it wasn't as far off from what I was seeing when creating the post).

      Delete
  8. Glad you are doing well! Congratulations on getting in a F2F game. I know people have been doing a lot of virtual stuff but there really isn’t a substitute. Hopefully you’ll be able to do more in the near future.
    Happy Napoleonic Skirmish Month!
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee, Stew. So far, so good. We're looking ahead to other opportunities.

      Delete
  9. Hi Ed...
    Your post shows up fine on my list
    Glad to hear you had a ‘real’ wargame...
    I think I will be virtual for a while longer...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly: I'm looking forward to the day when virtual gaming takes its place as an option as opposed to an imperative.

      Delete
  10. Good to hear you got a real game, I'm totally with you about being efficient on a slightly less up to date system is better than struggling with a new one! I caved and went back to the old system, until they permanently retire it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is one of the better regions as far as pandemic control, so there are some openings to get a game in—but they still wind up being calculated decisions.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...