Saturday, August 10, 2024

CHOCOLATE BOX WARS POSTED AND BLOG BIRTHDAY

 

Greetings, dear readers.  I am happy to announce that I have posted the Chocolate Box Wars rules and associated supporting materials on this blog. For those interested, please see the Chocolate Box Wars Resource Page at the above link (and among the page tabs at the top of this blog). There is much to take in there, so I won't dwell at length on details here. 

Although there is always a lingering thought in the back of your head that more can  be done, this can be a trap. There comes a point--sometimes not obvious--where a project is no longer a work in progress and anything you're doing is just tinkering. In the wake of playtesting over the last few months, club members and playtesters found the rules to be functional, and even enjoyable, so much so that several friends started building CBW armies to bring to the table. This is what told me that I had crossed the line. If there are people investing time, effort, and even cash, it tells me that I had moved beyond draft, and was ready to inflict CBW upon the world. And so I have!

I'd like to thank the interest and support of the blogging community (whom I've mentioned in the acknowledgements at the end of the rules).  In particular, Aly (of Aly's Toy Soldiers), with whom I corresponded at the start of all of this on the topic of "Chocolate Box Soldiers."  I don't think it's a stretch to say that our regular "blog buddies" and blog visitors provide an important source of motivation for us, and it was certainly the case for me with this long-term project. 

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone actually gives the game a go, and how it went. I'll be posting more battle reports here in the future as friends bring their CBW armies to the table, and hope that to read a battle report or two from someone who picked up the rules here and played it. In particular, the system is very supportive of imaginations. I think it would be very interesting to see an imaginations army list that someone came up with (you may see a few of those here in the future). 

Finally, I thought it appropriate to publish CBW on this day: it was August 10, 2016 (8 years ago!) when I opened this blog--with an uninspiring non-post announcing that there was nothing to see here yet. Time flies: Thanks for following along!

Excelsior!

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Ed, on two fronts today! Having only scanned the rules package, it looks quite professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I hope that upon closer inspection that the first impression holds up!

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for making the resource available, I certainly will be starting a CBW project once my ECW is done and dusted. Congratulations on your 8 year anniversary, well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie. One project at a time is the way to go, if you can manage it :) In the meantime, the CBW will be ready when you are!

      Delete
  3. Well done Ed...I will have a gander at the CBW rules and see if I can perhaps utilize them for solo play?
    I must check my first post too...I am sure it was August and possibly around the same year....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence: your first blog post was virtually in synch: Aug 7 2016! Hadn't thought about solo play. I think playing it solo would certainly still deliver the feel of the system, but given the action:reaction structure, it would definitely be a different game than two player.

      Delete
  4. Hurrah!
    And happy Blog Birthday Ed…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give you joy of your eight years!
    Alan Tradgardland
    P.s the rules have come out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. It's been fun following along. Probably a bit heavy on the rationale (in the rules), but I put that at the back so it doesn't get in the way :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Blog birthday Ed and great to see you offering your rules to the World:)! I will give them a ganders in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve. Yes, I'm putting more stuff out there again. The price is right, so I figure nobody can complain. Hope they are at least worth the time needed to read them.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the blog birthday and the finishing up of chocolate wars. Two milestones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two milestones, indeed. CBW has been a work in progress for nearly as long as the blog.

      Delete
  8. Well done, and thank you for making them available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee. I hope that at the very least they make for interesting reading if nothing else.

      Delete
  9. I'm very excited about Chocolate Box Wars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm excited about your growing CBW armies, AJ!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations. I think your description on when to stop with the rules tinkering to be very apt. May the rules bring you fame and women!
    Congrats on 8 years too. I just noted my 7th year so you have one more year than me which makes sense as your about a years worth better at this than I am. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the field of composition and rhetoric there is a saying that "writing is done when the time runs out" (in this case, I called "time" on myself!). 7 years, 8 years, after the first 5, I would say the differences don't signify. Seems that August and September are popular months for blog birthdays.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thankee, Ross. Interestingly put; starting in on the next 8 today...

      Delete
  12. Congratulations Ed! More importantly, thank you. For taking the time and making the effort to produce a valuable and useful set of rules and then making them available to all.
    I am a bit of a 'collector' of rules, so have taken the opportunity to download them (I already have your adaptations for Volley and Bayonet). Your excellent desktop publishing skills are in clear evidence—they look beautiful and superbly clear. I'll most likely not use them until I have figures for the Russo-Turkish War 1877-78 ready to go (which is a way off). Mind you, reading through them may likely encourage me to 'bring this on'!
    Regards, James
    p.s. I am chuffed and honoured to be named as one of your 'blog buddies'. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the support and feedback, James! It is good to get a "reader response" on rules clarity (always a challenge to make sure that what is clear to you, the author, is clear to the audience). CBW will be here when your Russians and Turks are brought to the table (reminds me: one loose end in my collection is a Turkish army for my RTW Russians to face...).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...