Wednesday, April 1, 2020

BILLY BADASS THE BULGARIAN: WIP RTW

 Outpost Bulgarian Legion Command Figure, Russo Turkish War
(clix pix for BIG PIX)

Greetings, fellow shut-ins.  This is just a quick post showing an interim step in a work in progress.  I'm currently working on a unit of the Bulgarian Legion of the Russo Turkish War.  In so doing, I thought I'd finish up the command figure (above) ahead of the others.  I have to relate that I was not expecting much when I started on this fellow, particularly since he is draped in a greatcoat, but this was one of those figures that surprises you by emerging into something special as you go.  I was struck by how this sculpt is much more a "personality" figure than something you might find among others in a command set.  It strikes me that he would fit in nicely as a single figure in a pulp adventure line set in the "back of beyond" or the Russian Civil War: "Billy Badass the Bulgarian."
No dandy waving a sword and shouting encouragements, Billy is in on the action: very in keeping with the fighting reputation of the Bulgarian Legion (even if it was officered by Russians: we can overlook that bit and assume that there could have been Bulgarian officers at company level--where the pistol action is).
Coming soon, the rest of the Bulgarian Legion.  It will almost be a shame to mount Billy in a unit stand mixed with other figures as opposed to by himself--but I'm sure he'll bring something to the look of the outfit even so (and i'll know he's there!).
Excelsior!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Perhaps given the greatcoat, he might also be known as "Leroy Brown" :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray--this was actually a fun fig to paint, too!

      Delete
  3. Oh he is excellent! I always like it when you start off with low expectations of figures and somehow they surprise you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain: nowadays, little pleasant surprises are particularly welcome.

      Delete
  4. “The Bulgarian Legion in the Russo Turkish War” Had me going The Who in the What now? I swear if I didn’t know better it’s sounds like an imaginations campaign.
    Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But I can’t be the only one with no knowledge of this conflict. 😀

    Still, you are correct about the figure, he does look the part of a badass in a war movie; calmly firing his pistol at a tank or something while staring down death. Nice painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, fact is as good as fiction--and is often the stuff behind imaginations: the Balkan nations and wars of the late 19th century would be a good inspiration. More on the Bulgarians, et al, in my next post...

      Delete
  5. Excellent! The dip works so well over a brown greatcoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I never worked up the courage to dip figs, but I use black washes at various stages: same effect, though: well-spotted!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...