Wednesday, April 8, 2020

BULGARIAN LEGION OF THE RTW

 
Outpost Figs of the Bulgarian Legion of the Russo Turkish War (1877-78).
Greetings, fellow shut-ins.  In this post, we continue along our Balkan paths.  Turning aside from the earlier-completed Romanians, we diverge into the Bulgarians.  Specifically, a unit of the Bulgarian Legion of the Russo Turkish War.  
These were volunteer units, six battalions in all, that were equipped by and served in the Russian Army in the Russo Turkish War.  The major difference in their kit was their distinctive headgear.
For the Bulgarians, as with other balkan states, the Russo Turkish War is their War of Independence. The Bulgarian uprising against the Ottomans, and the subsequent Ottoman brutality against the Bulgarian populace, was a major catalyst that brought on the Russo Turkish War.  No wonder, then, that a substantial and highly motivated Bulgarian volunteer force made its way into the ranks of the Russian Army. 
The Bulgarian Legion was part of the Russian force that conducted the desperate defense of the Shipka Pass, one of the turning points of the conflict. The defenders, with their ammunition dwindling, at one point resorted to rolling rocks and logs down onto the attacking Ottomans. It is a dramatic story well worth reading about (at the above link) if you are unaware of this conflict or this particular episode.  Well, that's the background: here is my study of how I rendered this unit (as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX):
Followers of this blog may pick out the previously reported upon Billy Badass the Bulgarian among the figures. I chose to represent them in the winter green trousers as opposed to summer white. I also very much appreciate that these figures are actually portrayed in combat order as opposed to weighed down with equipment (see rant in previous post about encumbered figures). 
Deployed as a brigade using single stands as battalions. 
The Bulgarian Legion was organized into three brigades of two-battalions each. I have two versions of my current VnB variant for the post-Napoleonic era, one that uses two stand battalions and one that uses one stand per battalion.  Had I to do it again, I probably would have done four stands in order to give me the ability to field brigades (either one, at two stands per battalion, or two at one stand per). When I do finish my Chocolate Box Wars system, this unit will fit right in as a volunteer or auxiliary option for the Russian force.


Three veterans of the Bulgarian Legion photographed sometime in the early 20th Century--a formidable looking trio even in their advanced years.

[Finally, this is an appeal to fellow bloggists who may be more tech savvy than I: for some reason, when my blog is updated and comes up among lists on other blogs, there is no accompanying thumbnail image (for those blog lists that have this enabled). This seems a recent issue, having come up on a previous post in the last week. I haven't changed anything about my blog settings or the way I'm posting images. Can anyone enlighten me as to why blogger is not picking up a thumbnail to preview on blog lists, or how I might fix this?  Feel free to email me directly at edmuel@gmail.com with suggestions if you would rather do that than commenting: thanks!]
 Excelsior!

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray: I was pleasantly surprised at how the end effect exceeds the rather utilitarian uniform scheme.

      Delete
  2. You may single-handedly bring this period to the attention of many. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That officer - so awesome of a figure! Great paint jobs Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. The practice doing these figs will pay off when I get around to doing the Russians, who will be a much larger project, obviously.

      Delete
  4. Nice discussion of the history and of course, some nice painting. I hope your doing well with the shut in. 😀

    No idea about the thumbnail thing. It used to show pictures didn’t it? I haven’t changed any settings on my blog so it’s a mystery. Sorry can’t be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew. I've gone and posted my question about the thumbnail on the Blogger help forum: I did get an initial response (inconclusive). We'll see if they provide some more definitive answer in a day or so.

      Delete
  5. Lovely Bulgarian legion, I think they're in Shaws Arms and the Man aren't they, or maybe they're regular Bulgarians from a few years later? Anyway a modest but very effective uniform!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Iain: yes, Arms and the Man was set during/after the Serbo-Bulgarian War (1885). Matter of fact, Outpost now does Serbs, too (the buttefly begins to flit).

      Delete
  6. Hi Ed, I am building a Russian and Bulgarian army for this period now. I am finding various sources giving different descriptions of the Bulgarian Legion's uniform, as well as various plates and illustrations which again differ somewhat one from another in respect of the troops uniforms. I'm not sure how to share what I have for other interested parties not least since my email seems restricted here in Bulgaria to small attachment sizes.
    I have also researched the Russian umiforms of the period, and the one thing I would say is please do not rely on the Osprey book, it is woefully inaccurate, especially as regards the guards and the facings of troops. The picture they have for Russian guards looks like the Preobrazhesky regiment, but the jacket appears to be single breasted whereas guards wore doub;e-breasted tunics. Also other guards units differed immensely as regards facings from the one illustration given in the Osprey book.
    As regards line infantry and non-guards greadiers, as well as guards - the facings depended on whether the regiment was 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the division, with some facings dependent on whether the regiment was in the first or 2nd brigade of the division. Also, belts were black for line troops, and white for guards butnot for the 4th regiment in a guard division who wore black.
    Check out the forum on Siberia Miniatures website, there is a feast of information on Russian uniforms of this period, but you'll need to use google translate on the web-pages.
    Regards... Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,

      Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier (on posts older than 30 days, moderation is on, and there is no signal to tell me a comment is waiting). I generally try to find multiple references on units and uniforms: I agree that Ospreys as a single source can be problematic.

      Sometimes, your options can be limited by the figure and what it shows as well.

      Thanks for the input. I hope to pick up the thread on this era again in the spring.

      Delete
  7. I loved your fine work, Ed!
    Just a thing - the photo of the three veterans is from 1948 - over 70 years after the events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin: thanks for stopping by. I didn't notice your comment until recently (apologies). For posts more than one month old, comment moderation is on--only I don't get any notice that there is a comment waiting, so it's only when I check the dashboard that I notice (I should do so more regularly). Glad you enjoyed the Bulgarians!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...