Thursday, April 23, 2020

ROMANIAN INFANTRY: RUSSO TURKISH WAR ERA

Outpost Romanian Infantry

Greetings, fellow shut-ins.  In this post, we follow up from our last work in progress post on the Romanian line infantry.  Like many, the lock-down has provided the context for me to put a dent in our big hobby "to do" lists.  In this regard, the major of my "shut in" goals has been to complete my Romanian Russo Turkish War contingent (by May 4).  Having done the cavalry some time ago, this meant working through the following: the Dorobanti Infantry, the Chassuers, the Line Infantry, the Artillery, and the Command. Of these, the line infantry was the largest challenge--by far...
...at 51 figures, this project represents the biggest number of figures that I have ever done in a single lot.  This part of the overall project loomed like the mountain stage of the Tour de France in comparison to the others.  Having completed it, I am now back on level ground and cruising as I move into the two remaining on the list, the artillery and the command. 
The French-inspired Romanian infantry uniform (left), and the significant Romanian Order of Battle in 1877 (right). The OOB is from the indispensible War in the East: A Military History of the Russo Turkish War 1877-78 by Quintin Barry, Helion and Company, 2012.  As usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX in this post (which should make the OOB readable).

I won't reprise too much of what I've already related about the Romanian Army of the Russo Turkish War other than to say that it was substantial and to recommend visiting the Balkan Military History blog for more information: beefy and still concise.  Having a significant contingent of Romanians in any Russo Turkish War collection not only is historically appropriate, but also provides a colorful addition that is right up the alley of any fancier of post-Napoleonic, pre-khaki military fashion. 
A close up study of the figures: like the Chasseurs, these figures are heavily burdened with equipment.  Moving beyond that to more positive thoughts, an observer with no knowledge of the Romanians and a general interest in 19th century continental armies could easily mistake these for French Foreign Legion or troops of one of the German minor states (tip of the hat to Aly for pointing out the latter).
The majority of my units are in this advancing pose. I figured it was general purpose and looked the part.  It is not far off from how the mid-century Prussians are shown carrying their rifles when they are advancing...
...I included two units in this slope arms pose for variety. After the fact, I found that I liked this pose better than I thought I would. Now I think that either would have suited well for the majority. 
Having been freed from their painting sticks, the Romanian Infantry deploys for action. 

 Excelsior!


14 comments:

  1. Excellent! The result is even more impressive than imagined. This really is a sharp looking uniform. Great job on cranking out so many at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I'm happy with how they came out.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful work on the unusual Romanian Infantry, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil: now that you mention it, a Romanian miniatures army is on the rare side.

      Delete
  3. Great job completing this huge lot of figures! It’s nice when we set a goal and reach it. Painting is great. May they serve you well on the table top. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew: given how many there are, the first-game curse is going to be murder (probably best done solo)!

      Delete
  4. A great looking unit Ed. I do like their snazzy uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. I'm looking forward to seeing the entire Romanian contingent together. I think they'll come in a close second to the Hungarians in the style category.

      Delete
  5. They have come together really well Ed...
    I think one of the nice things about the Russo-Turkish war is that each of the forces involved has quite a distinctive uniform... which should make for some very attractive looking (Chocolate Box) battles...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. A bit of an irony, but it strikes me that the forces of the RTW (especially if you include the exotic elements of Caucus campaign) would do nicely for any "imaginations" construct.

      Delete
  6. A lot of great looking troops, Ed. The 19th Century certainly had it's fair share of conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean: yes, the post-Napoleonic period has more options than folks may realize.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking large number of Romanians! Apologies I thought I'd already commented! Excellent finish, the kepis are particularly colourful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. One of the few upsides to this extended isolation was that it put me in a mental frame of mind to be able to stick to the detail work in a large project like this (as opposed to the smaller shots I normally do).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...