Wednesday, May 6, 2020

BOOM! ROMANIAN ARTILLERY RUSSO TURKISH WAR


Outpost Wargame Service Russo Turkish Russian Artillerists Painted as Romanians

Greetings fellow shut-ins!  In this post, I report the completion of the penultimate step in my pandemic project: the Artillery of my Russo-Turkish War era Romanian contingent. These follow from the Cavalry, the Dorobanti Infantry, the Chassuers, and the Line Infantry.  I am now starting in on the last bit, the command, but that is for another post, dear readers.  This post is about the artillery. Once again, I stuck with the Outpost Wargame service Russo Turkish War figures.  Although they have a line of Romanians they do not include specialized artillery figures.  Instead, they suggest that you use their Russians, whose ordnance and uniforms were virtually the same aside from color (Russians being in their characteristic green). Good enough for me! Here is my study of how I did these figs (as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX):
At first I was skeptical of the poses, of how the fellow pulling the lanyard in particular would come across, but once you put them all together the effect is very dynamic. 
 The gunners, sans-ordnance for easier inspection. 

 To get the red-0n-blue piping on the kepi to stand out, I underpainted it in white (a tip for anyone out there who shares my mania and who doesn't mind doing something twice).

 Outpost gun model (right) next to a Foundry Franco-Prussian War 9cm Krupp. The gun model is one order of magnitude larger than others in this scale, a not infrequent thing with gun models. Nevertheless, I found that these larger models look correctly sized in relation to the Outpost gunners.  

The Romanian Artillery Park at Firing Practice.

Excelsior!



16 comments:

  1. Good looking artillery park! Good tip on red over white. If I can't get the red to cover, I do the same. Oh, and I hate doing something twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan: good to see that I'm not alone!

      Delete
  2. Fine looking artillery, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Always good to see you drop by.

      Delete
  3. The artillery looks great and I am enjoying seeing your project as I am learning a lot about a period I know little of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I may not be an expert, but I play on on my blog :)

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking artillery! The army will be complete before you know it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I'm glad I saved the smallest bit for last since I find myself lagging at this point.

      Delete
  5. Very cool troops and artillery from yet another war I am totally unfamiliar with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean: following blogs is often a learning experience for me, too (part of the fun of the community).

      Delete
  6. Great looking guns. Ferocious! And you’ll be happy to know that the preview pic on my blog roll has returned for your posts. Don’t know if you did anything different or if it was all just a silly blogger glitch. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew: thanks remembering about the issue with the preview pix. That appears to have been a blogger thing (thankfully).

      Delete
  7. Very nice indeed Ed...I find it's often necessary to undercoat yellow facings etc with white, if I want it to "pop". Re the guns, my experience is that Foundry in general are on the small side when compared with many ranges...they tend to be closer to true 25mm than most ranges nowadays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rross: good point on Foundry sizing. Outpost are certainly of the later, larger proportioned generation of figs in comparison.

      Delete
  8. Very nice Ed...
    Yet another surprising colourful unit...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly: I'm already looking forward to colorful hypothetical games with my Hungarians and Romanians: it might not be "imaginations" but the look of them certainly comes close!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...