Thursday, January 4, 2018

HONVED HUNGARIAN INFANTRY COMPLETE!

A study of two individually mounted figures of the Honved 24th (White Cap) Battalion in their fur caps. All figures in this post are recent releases from the excellent Steve Barber Revolutions In Europe Line

In this, the first substantive post of the new year, dear readers, we hearken back to a project  I reported on in my last, pre-holiday post. This project was actually completed in the days before the Yule, so these units may henceforth be nicknamed my "Christmas Infantry."  These round out my Hungarian Infantry contingent for my Chocolate Box Wars project: as a matter of fact, all I need now are some command figures and artillery and my Hungarians will be complete.  In the meantime, here is a study of the painted figures.

As described in my previous post, this project involved the creation of three units. The 24th (White Cap) battalion (represented twice: one in kepi and one in fur cap), and the 9th (Red Cap) battalion. Images above of the 24th and 9th battalion uniforms are from the excellent Gyozo Smogyi Honved Army 1848-49 book (a must-have for anyone interested in the period).   I commissioned these infantry in kepis and the officers advancing with sword, but the fur-capped figures were a pleasant surprise.  Upon seeing them, I had to add these to the mix! In the below studies, you may clix pix for BIG PIX.  


9th (Red Cap) Battalion
Once again, I lost track of how many different shades of brown (and tan) I used to keep the jackets, backpacks, rifles, and whatnot from looking like one big blob.  I will say that Humbrol "Brown Yellow" is one of the greatest discoveries I've ever stumbled across (I can recommend it for highlighting darker browns).


 24th (White Cap) Battalion in Kepi
One item that I probably wasted too much time on was the red/green/white piping around the base of the kepi. It probably won't be so evident at playing distance on the table, but what the heck, it was an indulgence worth trying. I'll know it's there. 

24th (White Cap) Battalion in Fur Cap

Okay, technically, this is the 24th (White Cap) battalion again, only with winter headgear. But these figures were just too cool to not have! So I'll bend history a bit.  If you see them on the table next to their kepi-headed comrades, let it be our secret!
If I have to paint one more hungarian knot my head will explode!  

The array of my Honved line infantry in its varied headgear and uniforms (and hungarian knots).  It certainly makes for a colorful force (and adding the national guard, rifles, and grenzers will make it even more interesting).   

I hope this post has proven interesting (and tempting) for those who have seen the recent releases from Steve Barber, and for those with an interest in gaming the continental wars of the mid century in general.


Excelsior!

20 comments:

  1. Outstanding work, Ed! Your army is a colorful force, for sure.
    My favorites of your latest tranche are the fellows in the white fur cap. Excellent!

    As for being tempted, of course I am but I am neck deep in the 1859 war only in a smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. 1859 is in the same category, and I very much like the look of your 15mm collection!

      Delete
  2. Lovely figures how are your rules progressing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stuart, well, I've posted an interim set of rules based on Volley and Bayonet that will work. As far as the Chocolate Box Wars rules, those went on hold this fall when time and attention were diverted. However, I intend to get started on those again now. I should think that I will be able to playtest by summer (and will post updates here).

      Delete
  3. One of the beauties of painting small forces like these is that you can really concentrate on the finer details of the model when painting and still be done in a reasonable amount of time. You've done a fine job on these figures, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I've reconciled myself to the fact that I'm not a volume painter (and also not fast, regardless) and so focus my efforts on projects that align with those habits.

      Delete
  4. The fur-hat units are wonderful! I can almost feel the fuzziness of the fur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. Three shades of gray and a brush of white over a black undercoat. Nothin' to it!

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff Ed...

    It is surprising how colourful these ‘Brown’ Coated units can be.
    They will make a nice contrast to the white Austrian uniforms...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, I'm really looking forward to completing the Hungarians so that I can put together a game with them and the Austrians: two very snappy looking forces.

      Delete
  6. nanananana (hands over eyes..)

    These look great and it is an intriguing era of history and warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross, I think that the Honved infantry in fur caps, by themselves, would have sucked me into this era on their own (such is the weakness of the flesh).

      Delete
  7. Ed, these have turned out wonderfully! I think they really fit the bill for your "outside the box" initiative at the club. Cannot wait to see them on the table for a game - regardless of the rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can’t wait to see them on tye table myself! I’ve been anticipating the release of the mounted command figures and the artillery, which will finish the force. I’m sorely tempted to stop waiting and just move ahead and modify some figs to do the job.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking Hungarians, I'm torn between the red kepi and the fur caps, they're both great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I have a hard time deciding myself. I guess I’ll just have to get them on the table to decide!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...