Saturday, December 5, 2020

TERRAIN TIME: EARTHWORKS & GABIONS


Old Figures Posing With New Terrain 
Greetings, fellow shut ins!  In this post, we stray into very familiar/unfamiliar territory.  Familiar in that everyone's collection, mine included, contains an array of wargame terrain.  Unfamiliar in that I am definitely in the "buy it painted and assembled" category when it comes to my terrain.  However, I have been wanting a substantial set of earthworks for some time to use with my 28mm Thirty Years War figures. It was not just in 1914-18 that there were extensive lines of earthworks stretching across the landscape. In the wars of the 17th century there were also extensive lines of works laid down to control territory and frontiers.  But I digress.  After coming up dry on finding ready-made versions of these, I finally gave in when I saw the Wicker Earthworks by Daemonscape Terrain offered on ebay (as opposed to the producer's site)...
...and lacking impulse control, I picked up four sets of them. That's 16 pieces, each of 4 inches:  so I now have 64 linear inches of earthworks which I can use in any number of configurations, to include a long line of works stretching across a table. Being my slow self, and not accustomed (okay, even averse) to painting terrain, these took me three weeks to complete.  Below is a study of each of the four pieces found in a set, front and back (clix pix for Big Pix).
I used a black undercoat and did the major parts in acrylic paints (instead of my usual enamels).  The brown for the earth turned out to have a slight red tinge to it, which turned out to be a happy coincidence, giving it a nice "turned up" earth look---which also helped to differentiate it from the browns in the wicker and the dead logs embedded in the earth. I added a few washes of black here and there, and I highlighted the brown with a drybrush of Humbrol Yellow Brown (another very handy color I employ for such uses).
For the wicker, I used another old stand-bye: "Dark Tan" (Testor's Model Master). I brushed the Dark Tan over the high points on the wicker weave, leaving the black to show through in the gaps. I finished it off with a drybrush of white to give it that weathered look--and to help the wicker stand-apart from the brown of the earth. 
The rocks are a dark gray, with a black wash, highlighted with lighter gray and then very lightly drybrushed with white.  I represented the gabions as filled with rocks: gray brushed over the black undercoat, a wash of black, and then drybrushed with lighter gray. 
I'm looking forward to games of my own Smalle Warre system and Pikeman's Lament using these earthworks, which will expand the options and allow for some very interesting scenario and campaign situations. 
Excelsior!

19 comments:

  1. These earthworks look great, Ed! I may have to looking into some gabions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. 16 may be a bit much, but having a set of 4 would be handy :)

      Delete
  2. Nice stuff with excellent painting on them with realistic color selections. I can't wait to defend or attack them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m looking forward to getting them on the table!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, that's a big table impact for a relatively easy storage terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. I was just noticing that I can keep these in an empty Ipad box...very compact.

      Delete
  4. Excllent work, beautiful and realistic defensive terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. I was thinking about flocking them ,but am happy with how they came out painted.

      Delete
  5. You may not enjoy painting terrain but you do a bang up job of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not cut out yo be a model railroader—I was, the layout might br nice, but really small ;)

      Delete
    2. Geesh: never try to type on an ipad (that should read "be a model railroader" and "if I was, the layout might be nice..."

      Delete
  6. Quite a lot of earthworks there! Nice job on them. Sometimes we have to paint what we are not excited to do in order to have it in the table. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it’s important to maintain perspective. Tp paraphrase, a day of painting terrain beats any day spent at work!

      Delete
  7. They look great Ed...

    Well worth the effort...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. I can say that there is some sense of accomplishment with these, at least.

      Delete
  8. Nice looking set of gabbions! Mine were plastic, terrain always takes ages!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian: these were resin, but they do have a good heft to them, anyway.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray: let's see if I can resist the urge to have earthworks somewhere on the table in every game from here on out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...