Tuesday, December 7, 2021

HATS AND THE GAMERS WHO LOVE THEM

 
A pickelhaube never fails to make a point.
  
In order clear the face of this blog from the drear business of the previous post, I thought I'd put up another on something that has been much on my mind: hats (see what I did there?...never mind).  Over the years--baseball caps aside--I've noted the interesting headgear donned by gamers at conventions.  Naturally, I soon found myself collecting snaps of them, albeit not very systematically (the former because I'm easily amused and the latter because I'm easily distracted--as is self-evident in this post).  To analyze this heady subject, I have divided hats into four categories, Themed Hats, Style Hats, Fezzes, and Other Hats, and compiled a visual essay, which now follows...
 
1. THEMED HATS
 Hats tied to a game or game or game experience...
The sharp eyed observer will note a "style" choice being worn at the table.
A pithy youngster.
Kamerade!
VC in the wire!
Reds!
Beautiful plumage...plucked from the Norwegian Blue parrot species, no doubt.  
They go together: coffee and cream, love and marriage, and three cornered hats and pirates.
Research shows that the vikings did not have horned helmets--so sad for them!
March or die!

2. STYLE HATS
 Hats unrelated to gaming; in other words, hats that seem to be part of the subject person's every day ensemble--whether a good or bad style choice is beyond the scope of this study...
A derby to run a Flames of War derby.
'Cause you never know when you might be invited to go fishing with a Greek.
Stylish and practical.
 
3. FEZZES 
 A unique category unto itself--for reasons unto itself...
Bonus kepi in the foreground.
Probably goes with the vest.
A fez for fez sake...
"Fezzing" up: specimens from the Meanderer's very own private collection.
 
4. OTHER HATS
Hats that don't fit (figuratively speaking): justified by some unclear or confusing mix of the above categories, or by some unknown--possibly more disturbing--criteria...
Thinking cap?
Handy for the harvest, too.
Probably not a "Style" choice...probably.
Everything is more merry with a glengarry!
That Greek fisherman we were looking for earlier?
 
Well, I have nothing further to add to this, my latest important contribution to the hobby. I hope, dear reader, that you will use the information gleaned wisely. 
  
Excelsior!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As a man with a fez collection, I think I'm a kindred spirit.

      Delete
  2. I bought myself a Union ACW forage cap to wear that I swore I would wear at my convention while hosting an AcW game. Haven’t yet though. 😀

    Next up on the blog; T-shirts!
    (Glad your hacked problems have resolved)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the time is right to don the cap, you'll know!

      Delete
  3. Very happy to see you are still able to post Ed - long m ay it continue. I think these guys are letting the hobby go to their heads...... SORRY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be heading in the right direction once again...

      Delete
  4. Entertaining hat post,my sister bought me a reconstruction 16th century closed helm but I don't think I'll be wearing it for my Italian wars games!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose a closed helm might be better for display than wear--in most situations :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...