Wednesday, March 16, 2022

PRUSSIAN CUIRASSIERS 1866 WORK IN PROGRESS II

 

One week's progress (after horses): left, Cuirassier Regt #7 (Magdeburg); right: Cuirassier Regt #3, East Prussian

As repeat visitors of this blog may recall, my painting rate cannot be described as fast. Neither can it probably be called efficient--which may not necessarily be a bad thing. Who wants "efficient" toy soliders? Blech! But, as usual, I digress (aka, meander): apologies, dear reader.  Back on subject...I'm now one week into the Prussian 1866 Cuirassier project, and as anticipated, nowhere near finished. This despite dedicating several hours per day to painting (did I mention it's good to be early retired?). I am about mid way through painting these 12 figures (well, 24 if one counts horses). Anyway, here is a report on how I'm working through these.  Let's start with the above image.  I spent one entire day on the shabraques--getting the the lines and corners consistent, not only on each figure (parallel lines) but across all figures.  This kind of thing really doesn't leap out at you (nobody picks up a stand and says, "Gee, lookit those lines!"), but I find that a repeated geometric pattern like this has a collective effect, and inconsistencies jump out. 

One way I look at painting is to identify areas of special focus/difficulty where details that I feel need to be brought out will take special attention. Often, this involves identifying areas where there is alot going on in a small space. On the Prussian cuirassier outfit, these involve the base and other openings of of the cuirass, where you have rows of rivets (brass on steel), a black ruffle edged in white sticking out (a very signature look for these fellows), a belt across the midsection, and a confluence of straps and brass hinge straps at the shoulder. 
The Northstar sculpts, which I've commented on before, are quite exquisite. I would call them "photo real" in their accuracy and detail. As such, however, they don't give you much to work with as a painter in the way that less finely sculpted figures might. Others' opinions may differ: it may just be the way I paint that creates the challenge (entirely possible).  In the above picture, you can see the fine details of belt, rivets, and ruffle all near the base of the cuirass: excellent though they are, bringing them out and giving them some separation to the eye took some trial and error (to say the least), particularly the ruffle, which sticks out not much more than 2mm or so (which is about how this detail is depicted in images, to be fair, and so it is on the figures).  Whether anyone else will ever notice these details remains an open question. My thinking is that rendering such things, regardless of how small, still contributes to the overall look of the figure. Some might call this wasted effort given that figures are going to be seen at 4' to 5' distance on the table, or that nobody probably even knows (or cares) that there should be a white edge on a black ruff at the base of the cuirass, or given the state of eyesight in our gaming group nowadays (we're no longer youngsters).  All true: but that's just how I paint at the end of the day, regardless. Like others have said of their painting practice, I'll know it's there, and in the end, I'll feel like the figures are "finished."   
Normally, I paint "assembly-line" style, meaning that I do the same detail or color across all the figures at the same time. However, when confronted with a project that involves lots of what I call "high control" painting--which progresses very slowly--I generally take a few figures and do them to completion ahead of the rest. This project fits into this category. Having a few figs done not only gives me a momentum boost to get me through the project, but also helps me to get the trial and error out of the way so that I have the techniques down for  later figures.
Given their unique qualities, I finished the trumpeters for both regiments...
...and the command set for the Magdeburg Cuirassiers: with these figures, I learned how to deal with the cuirasses. 
Having one command set done, I'm moving on to the East Prussian Cuirassier command set. I may be done with these fellows given another day or two. 
I'll then move on to the troopers for both regiments.  These will move along more quickly than their predecessors and I'll do them in one batch of six (as opposed to the three sets of two that I've done to date).   
Then, of course, I'll do the final touch up, the varnishing, and then the basing. Perhaps I'll be able to bring this project to completion in an even two weeks. And if I don't, well, no matter. It may be three. 

Excelsior!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, those are coming along great - love the uniforms and armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean: your own splendid rendition of these figures provided inspiration in no small part for me to add these to my establishment.

      Delete
  2. A continued steady pace is a good way to build armies. Great review of these figures, Ed. Very useful to those wanting to buy and paint these same sculpts. I agree that the NorthStar 1866 rang looks superb. Reminds me that I ought to get back to my own 15mm FAW/APW/FPW projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan: sticking with it a bit every day (sometimes more sometimes whatever on can) helps.

      Delete
  3. Some of us (like me) have odd thoughts/feelings on this sort of thing. I used to be a "it should be painted so that if you blow it up it'll look right" sort but some how I migrated to "if you couldn't see it from across a parade square in real life then it shouldn't be painted because it'll spoil the illusion that this is the real thing at a distance. (Conveniently, I was starting to be partially won over to this view just before my eyes started to deteriorate...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have given the impression that I think everyone oughta paint like this or that I judge other folks' figs (negatively) if they don't. I very much like the look of your figs (on display on your blog and at Huzzah!), and there is a wide range of styles in our own group, all of them excellent painters. I can say that I learned to paint according to the "across the parade square" model when I did my 6mm figures--both necessity and common sense merged :)

      Delete
  4. Stunning work there Ed and I can only admire you patience and steady hands for this, neither of which I possess! 10mm is so much easier to paint:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. A dram every now and then helps with patience, and I manage to sober up long enough to walk and paint in a straight line every now and then ;)

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff Ed…
    I reckon that’s the two facing colours I would have gone for as well…
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. I wanted the white on yellow, but was concerned about how it would work. Fortunately, I still have a supply of the old Model Master Enamel "Deep Yellow" on hand, which delivers. The Model Master "Bright Blue" worked very nicely for the light blue of the East Prussians (after some trial and error with other blues).

      Delete
  6. Hey! Cav always count as two figures each and these guys have a LOT of details going on so I can completely understand the slow process of painting. As long as you’re enjoying it then all is well. 😀
    I tend to get frustrated when figures take a long time to paint Because I just want them done already. Probably why I don’t game any period that has fancy uniforms. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough validation for me: two figures each it is (I feel better). Good point on these figs in particular; there isn't much let up in the process. It's all detail.

      Delete
  7. I think my painting philosophy for 20/28mm figures would be pretty similar to your own Ed, although I generally don't paint horses and riders separately. These Kuirassiers are progressing well and as you say, if they are not completed in two weeks, so what?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guessing by the figure studies on your blog and your comments above, I suspect that we do share this mania :). This is one reason I stick to low figure count systems. I know that I could not sustain this kind of effort to produce results for large units of the sort that Mark (My Brave Fusiliers Blog) and Stokes do (Grand Duchy of Stollen Blog).

      Delete
  8. Looking great so far. Love the details on the piping on the horse blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. Just hit them with the clear flat varnish today. A bit more touch up and it's time for basing.

      Delete
  9. Lovely work on your Prussian cuirassiers, you are producing an admirable finish, I have moved onto a more impressionistic finish, as I am aiming for larger units,striving for adequate as I work on my Napoleonic Austrian cuirassiers, I agree with Stew of course,a cavalry figure counts as two!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain--given that I have now missed the (unofficial) two week forecast for completion of the project, I'll take some consolation in counting these as 24 figures as opposed to 12!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...