Thursday, March 31, 2022

PRUSSIAN CUIRASSIERS 1866


The Prussian 7th (Magdeburg) Cuirassiers (left) and 3rd (East Prussian) Cuirassiers (right) join the establishment (Northstar 1866 Figures).

In this post, dear readers,  I am gratified to report the completion of the aforementioned Prussian 1866 Cuirassier project. As expected, I did not complete these figs within the optimistic two week window.  However, I can say that I did complete them earlier than doing this posting (so let's call it three weeks).  As is the usual, I'll provide a study of how I did these figs and a bit of background on the units.  I must also recommend that anyone interested should also visit Dean's  WAB blog to see his superb rendition of these figures (which was both inspirational and aspirational for my own efforts).  Moving on, here is my study of these figures. As usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX

Trooper of a Prussian Cuirassier of the period (unfortunately, I can't dig up the source)

Although the Cuirassiers are among the highest prestige units of the Prussian Army, with lineages stretching back in some cases to the 1670s, tracing these regiments, post the 1806 Prussian Army reconstruction, is complicated, to say the least--much more so, for example, than the hussars, which also reach back a long way (to Frederick the Great's Army).  The difference is that the hussars (for example) were either continued or eliminated--and new ones formed, so the history/lineage of each is fairly linear. With the cuirassiers, however, the original thirteen regiments (pre 1806) were amalgamated into four regiments for the Befreiungskriege  (1813-14)--and then five more regiments were added afterwards (in 1819).  Thus, the post-Napoleonic Prussian Army had nine cuirassier regiments (not counting the Garde du Corps) that persisted to the end of WWI, that amalgamated the traditions and lineages of old regiments.  So please excuse the seemingly superficial treatment of the background information on these units...

 7th Magdeburg Cuirassiers (Von Seydlitz)
Image of the 7th Cuirassiers in Von Bredow's "Death Ride" found on the Planet Figure Forum (unattributed).

The Magdeburg Cuirassiers are the darlings of any Post-Napoleonic Prussian Army. For anyone not familiar with their history, they along with the 17th Uhlans--who definitely get second billing--conducted the famous charge at the Battle of Mars La Tour  known as Von Bredow's Death Ride. In terms of celebrated actions, this would be the Prussian version of  the Charge of the Light Brigade (but in typically Prussian v British fashion, it was a calculated risk as opposed to a magnificent blunder). For anyone curious, I recommend that you follow the aforementioned links or check out the excellent post at Black Powder Games on the topic. The 7th Cuirassiers (Magdeburg) began as the 4th Cuirassiers in 1809, created from an amalgamation of squadrons from the pre-1806 Silesian, Brandenburg, and East Prussian Cuirassiers. They carried the silver kettle drums that came down through the old Leib Cuirassier Regiment. They were later renumbered as Cuirassier Rgt #7 in 1819. The "new" regiment's post 1806 battle record includes the wars of Liberation (1813/14), the Austro-Prussian War (1866), the Franco Prussian War (1870--where they did the "Death Ride"), and World War I. Suffice it to say that anyone building a post-Napoleonic Prussian Army would probably include these among their cuirassiers. And so did I...



The yellow distinctions present both an attraction and a challenge given the low contrast between the yellow facing color and the white trim. I initially did the white in "light gray" and built it up with flat white until it stood out. For the yellow I brought out my last bottle of  "Deep Yellow"  (I use enamels, and this "deep yellow" is a Testor's Model Master product--no longer in production).  This shade of yellow comes in handy with low contrast combinations like this. Whenever I do two cavalry units of the same type, I generally have one with standard bearer and the other with trumpeter.  In this case, I decided that the Magdeburg Cuirassiers would carry the standard.  

3rd East Prussian Cuirassiers (Count Wrangel)
A good representation of what the 3rd (East Prussian) Cuirassiers would look like (only in  white steel cuirasses).  

Despite it's low number, the East Prussian Cuirassiers were a "new" regiment that was converted from dragoons to cuirassiers in 1818. Despite this "creation" in 1818, its lineage stretches back to a dragoon regiment formed in 1717, and it continued to carry the silver kettle drums that were captured from the Russians at the Battle of Zorndorf in 1758.  Its battle honors include the Wars of Frederick the Great, the Befreiungskriege (1813/14), the Austro Prussian War (1866), the Franco Prussian War (1870), and World War I.  




I very much liked the combination of the light blue facings (with white trim/button color) of this regiment, particularly next to the white on yellow of the 7th Cuirassiers. Given the higher contrast, I decided that this regiment would have the trumpeter (why do all that work if nobody can see it?).

Trumpeter/Command Figure 

I did, of course, produce a trumpeter for the 7th--as is my tradition, I used the "spare"  trumpeter as a command figure. 

Display Figures

By the end of this painting project, the issues with my neck and shoulder had flared up (it sucks getting old).  This was not a surprise; going in, I realized that given these issues that this would probably be my last major painting project. In the future, I'll probably only be doing one offs and specialty figures--no more units and armies. I've now got more than enough painted toys to play with :).  Given these circumstances, I decided to paint a few extra figures and put them on a display stand representing the color party of the 3rd (East Prussian) Cuirassiers. 
Although I don't have the space to line up my toy soldiers on display like some other gamers, I do have a display case with collectibles and other bits and bobs--these figures are on display there representing the rest of my little armies that are stowed away in boxes. 

The newly added gaming figure set on parade.

Excelsior!

14 comments:

  1. Very nice work as always Ed and I must say, I for one quite like your "less is more" sized units. They must help in getting games in the table! I am very sorry to read that health issues are more or less ending your figure painting career....luckily, so far I am ok...turn sixty in August ...which amazes me when I think of it! A friend had carpal tunnel syndrome a couple of years back and although I think the condition was resolved, he now does not like painting and finds it a chore, whereas I sometimes think I am more of a figure painter who plays the occasional game, rather than a full time wargamer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, I'm just a few years ahead of you: still getting used to bein among the "over sixties". I've always leaned more to playing than painting, so I'm content to shift focus towards that end of the hobby (it would be worse if it were the other way around).

      Delete
  2. Super work, Ed! I really enjoyed the regimental histories too. When I finally get around to building a FPW Prussian army, I will be sure to return here for reference so that I may field my own version of this unit in 15mm.

    As for the end of your production-line painting, I cannot imagine facing that decision but understand very well. Perhaps, one day, small projects may be possible once again.

    Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan: I've certainly gained much from other bloggists; happy to do my part to give back in terms of useful information (as well as diversion in the form of eye candy).

      Delete
  3. Lovely painting Ed, I do like the trumpeter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. They are favorites of mine as well, particularly in armies (like this) where they have the swallow's nests.

      Delete
  4. Nice job on the miniatures! They look great. 😀

    If painting mass armies is not for you anymore but you have plenty of armies to play with already then that, overall, is a pretty OK position to be in. Can focus on more gaming and other stuff (like scenarios or rules development) versus painting. I’d lily to be in such a position myself (as I don’t particularly enjoy the painting aspect of this hobby). 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew. I think that painting has actually been something of a distraction from my gaming (there is only so much time and energy available). It will be nice to shift towards using the figs I have--and I don't really feel constrained for options there.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous pair of units and good to end on a high if these are the last ones you paint, I'm definitely in the therapeutic end of painting, it's nice to use them in games but it's the painting of them that is the main hobby, not great to have it imposed on you but as you say it sucks getting old as I and my lower back,knees and cataracts will agree with!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. As these figs had been in the lead pile for some time, I did rather have in my head that they would be the final ones, appropriately so given the sculpts. I've always been at best a take-it-or-leave-it sort about the painting end of the hobby, so am comfortable leaving that behind in exchange for being pain free.

      Delete
  6. Those are absolutely lovely Ed! If this is the end of your painting 'career', you have gone out at the top of your game, or so it seems to my ageing eyes. I turn 59 this year and as a result of years of modelmaking, I now have a shaky left hand (not ideal when you're left handed!), which makes painting figures somewhat of a challenge. Still when the mood takes me I do enjoy it, but it is noticeably harden than say even 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve: for some reason, even before I ever had these, I had always thought of this particular uniform as something of a "graduation exercise" so it is an appropriate way to cap off the painting career in that way as well. Now time to get them on the table and shot to bits, like proper cavalry!

      Delete
  7. Lovely work, the white coats are beautiful, the results speak for themselves. Older may be wiser, but coming with its own problems keeps us old timers from running the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I'm happy with how they came out. As for the observations: very true--at least we can govern (and beautify) the little worlds of our toy soldiers, though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...