Tuesday, May 10, 2022

AUSTRIAN LINE INFANTRY: 1866 (ISH)


New Addition to the Austrian Regular Infantry Establishment.

In an earlier post, I had mentioned that my days of "major" painting projects were behind me and that future painting would be more limited affairs.  This post, dear readers, follows through on that with a recent addition to my Post Napoleonic collection: two more units (ostensibly battalions) for the "White Peril" (aka, Austrians).  In my most recent Frontier Battle game, I fielded a  divisional sized force on each side, which was perfect. For the Austrians, I was able to do so by substituting two grenzer battalions for two line battalions in one of the regiments. Put another way, I had ten of twelve line battalions needed to field two "by the book" Austrian brigades (each of six line battalions plus a Jager battalion) .  Thus, I decided to round out my Austrians with two more battalions of  "white coats" so that I could field such a force without substitutions--leaving special units like grenzers free to be included as supplemental elements. And so, dear reader, you see the two new units in the above picture.  As usual, in this post you may clix pix for BIG PIX. 

Keen-eyed observers (or those who have suffered through this blog long enough) will recognize that these figures are not Austrians, but 1855 British Infantry from the Perry Miniatures British Intervention Force line.... 
...which I find to be excellent for representing any of the shako-wearing Post Napoleonic Continental armies, in particular the Austrians, as the above illustration shows.  Northstar does a superb line of Austrian 1866 infantry. However, they are in greatcoats, and I prefer my "Chocolate Box Armies" to be in their national "toy soldier" glory. In this case, the elegant Austrian white....
...so I went with these figures. For the curious, there is an earlier post with more detail on the project of creating the Austrian infantry force (above) which these are joining. Truth in lending: I did have my earlier Austrians done by commission, which gave me some pause in trying to add to them since I would need to get the look of these units consistent with their comrades.  The main sticking point (for me) is/was the white on white, which is why I had them done professionally in the first place.  Unfortunately, the pro painters who did the previous figs were no longer in business, so I was left to tackle them myself...

...Each unit is two stands.  One stand with two infantrymen and a specialty figure (either an officer or a drummer), and one stand with three infantrymen.  I decided on the light blue facings of the famous "Hoch und Deutschmeister" regiment.  Each regiment is three battalions (by the way); the third battalion for this regiment is among my previous units. 

To get the desired differentiation of the white on white, I did the coats in light gray; gave them a very light wash of black, and then drybrushed them with flat white. I then painted all the strapping black and then overpainted them in flat white, leaving the edges black. In this way, they stand out from the coats, being both a brighter white and outlined...
...these steps create what I refer to as hidden effects, things that don't actually draw attention to themselves but are important to the final outcome. And so all of this effort also is hidden to the observer, except as a collective outcome. I also might add that the black-primer method never worked for me, which others have advocated for as a shortcut for white-outfitted units.  I still prime in white, and still paint over it even for white uniforms (the white primer by itself just doesn't look finished to my eye). I have my suspicions that I could probably do something less laborious and get a similar outcome. But these are the habits that I have developed and work for me, for better or worse, and so I stick with them--and the fact that I am among the rearguard who still use enamels probably also limits my options.  Nevertheless, I suspect that I'm not unique and that others have their own painting habits grounded in their own skill sets and priorities, which may or may not actually be the most efficient. 
...Two new battalions on parade to round out my Austrians (plus a couple of handy individually mounted figs to use as needed). 

Excelsior!

18 comments:

  1. The 'white on white' painting changed the Austrians from the easiest to one of the harder armies to paint. You've done a good job on these new figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed: in my early days in the hobby (back before the earth cooled), when block painting was the standard in our group I probably would have spray painted these fellows white and been done with them (details aside).

      Delete
  2. Nice work as usual Ed...I do like the pragmatic way you repurpose other figures to achieve the desired outcome, sticking a finger to the button counting anorak wearers in the process! Austrians ARE a pain to paint in their all white attire, I know, I did about 20 X 18 man Napoleonic battalions several years ago, and I still have not fully got over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith: I couldn't imagine trying to produce 20 battalions of these fellows, particularly large ones of 18 figures. My hat is off to anyone who does an Austrian army!

      Delete
  3. Mid-century British as Austrians? This was an inspired call. Great job on these fellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. Interesting coincidence, the mid century British cavalry saber was actually patterned on the Austrian M1861 cavalry saber (so there was a connection, albeit tenuos, between the armies).

      Delete
  4. Smart bit of substitution there, I do like the late 19th century Austrian military look, it's so operatic! Lovely work on your white on white, my experiments continue!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toss in a few select Strauss pieces and they wouldn't be out of place among the confections of Msr's Sullivan and Gilbert.

      Delete
  5. Great work there Ed and a nice idea to use the British to represent them. Works for me:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, nobody has raised an objection to the substitution--rather doubtful if they have even noticed :)

      Delete
  6. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY’RE NOT AUSTRAINS??!!! Heretical!! 😀😀

    Nice job painting white on white the troops look really nice. 😀.
    That’sa nice small batch of paint I got there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got away with it so far, but there's been an unmarked black van parked outside ever since I posted this. I think they're on to me!

      Delete
  7. Lovely work as always Ed. The black lining really makes the belts pop from the white uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. Thankfully, it was a small enough batch that I was able to sustain the effort to do the double painting to bring out those details.

      Delete
  8. They look great Ed…
    An excellent choice of figures for a ‘ paint’ conversion…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly. They are cracking figs, and the white brings them out just a bit more.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...