Friday, June 10, 2022

PRUSSIAN INFANTRY: 1866-ISH

 

Newly Completed Northstar 1866 Prussian Infantry Advance

The summer schedule and life in general have cramped blogging activity. Nevertheless, I am happy to say that I have had time for hobby fun mixed in, but  it has not been so dutifully recorded and reported upon here (yet).  The good news is that I'm collecting fodder for posting here when the time becomes available. But enough of a apologies. On to toy soldiers.  In this post, dear readers, I am happy to report on the completion of the Prussian side of a larger project that was initially mentioned in my Austrian 166 Infantry post. In that, I rounded out my Austrian infantry so that I could field two full brigades of line infantry without substitutions. In this part, I finish the project by adding figs to field a complete Prussian division of two infantry regiments of three battalions each without substitutions. I turned to the excellent Northstar 1866 figure line, of which my other figs are composed, to complete the project. As usual, in this post, you may clix pix for BIG PIX. 


When I began my collection, Northstar had not yet expanded the line as much as today (it had been picked up from Helion), and so my figs were a mix of what was available, in various poses and types, the main distinction being headgear (pickelhaube vs feldmutze). So to round out my Prussians I added three new units in pickelhaube and four in feldmutze (ie, soft caps). In the latter case, I really didn't need four (mathematically speaking)...
... because I had several units in feldmutze, but wanted to replace them since they were in skirmish poses (above).  These aren't bad figs or poses, but given the length of the rifles, they were prone to getting bent in use, and also tended to get bumped in storage. So there were practical reasons for painting a few too many figures to replace these, but there were also aesthetic reasons (for me, anyway)...
...I much prefer the look of this pose: Northstar calls it, "Prussian Infantry Charging."...
...It mimics almost exactly the look of Carl Rochling's images of massed Prussian infantry advancing during the Franco Prussian War, something I very much like the look of on the table (you may need to click the above to see what I mean). The sculptor(s) really did their homework with these figures. 
Although all of the same pose, there is still enough variety to keep them looking "real", particularly when you mix in command figures, characters, and musicians. 
I have to say that the drummer with the drum slung on his back is among my favorites. Unfortunately, you never know what the exact mix of figures will be when you order a command set, so it's hit or miss whether you can get one of these. So far, I've scored one in pickelhaube and one in feldmutze. I guess this is probably for the best; it protects me from myself and keeps me from ordering nothing but these, and it also keeps them unique. 

Originally, I would have preferred that all my Prussian infantry be in the iconic pickelhaube. Over time, though, I've come to very much like the look of the soft-capped feldmutze units, and this has worked out well in practical terms. Since it will now be easy to differentiate between the two brigades on the table...
...one brigade in feldmutze...
...and one in pickelhaube.

Excelsior!

20 comments:

  1. Fab work on your newly raised Prussian recruits, Ed! I enjoy seeing units in both pickelhaube and feldmutze. I agree that the drummer with drum slung on his back is an interesting sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan--in my younger days, I probably would have held to a single preference, but age and maturity allow for wider preferences (that's my story, anyway).

      Delete
  2. Your slightly extended absence from the blogosphere had been noticed Ed, glad to see you back with such a nice bunch of figures! I look forward to your next exciting instalments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith--absence was extended by a bout of virus with a sinus infection added onto the end just for spite (on the mend now, thankfully). Happy with this lot of figs; it does round out this particular collection nicely.

      Delete
  3. Great looking units, a very personal reporting of you efforts. Looking forward to table games with your forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take "personal" over "quirky" (thanks very much!). I'm getting the itch to get figs on the table, too!

      Delete
  4. Nothing quite like having things come together and look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't happen all that often, so I'll take it!

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking troops Ed. I like the Prussian charge pose too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray: the pose does photograph well, too, I have to say.

      Delete
  6. Great work there Ed and like the others, a nice mix of poses and the drum slung over the back is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve: it is a nice job that on the one hand they are all the same pose, but on the other hand, not all the same figure (if that makes sense).

      Delete
  7. I DO see what you mean by the charging pose. Im not sure I see what you mean about the pickle thingy versus the feld thingy: the hats? 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on, Stew. "Pickelhaube," the (often lampooned) helmety/hat with the spike on top. "Feldmutze," literally translated to "Field Cap"--speaks for itself...auf Deutsch, anyway ;).

      Delete
  8. Lovely addition to your collection Ed. Prussians look quite 'proper'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid looking Prussians and I to like the pose ,very evocative of the period prints!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are other lines of figs (some quite recent) for the era, but I think that Northstar hold their own in the top tier.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...