Saturday, October 15, 2022

THE MAP ROOM IS OPEN

 

Period Map of the Battle of Kolin Cleaned up and resized for use with half scale Bloody Big Battles and Kriegspiel Blocks. One of the products of my latest major project. 

Although I have not been painting, I have been heavily engaged in a different sort of hobby project, one that I am happy to say has reached its completion (although I hope to continue to add to it in the future).  Specifically, I have been busy building a new content page to this blog: The Map Room. This is an extension of my use of Kriegspiel Blocks on maps to play half scale Bloody Big Battles. Specifically, I have created period maps that can be downloaded and used for gaming (and I share them in the Map Room).  I also created a set of modular terrain sets to generate custom games with a post-Napoleonic Kriegspiel Map look to them.  The Map Room page contains more explanation, so I refer the curious to that source for in depth information.  But in summary, here is the process (as usual, you may clix pix for BIG PIX):

HISTORICAL PERIOD MAPS

I start with a historical map. This one is of the Battle of Kolin (taken from the Royal Collection Trust King George III's Military Map Collection)...

...I then mask the graphics, leaving the terrain features...
...I then crop the image to the map only, and resize it to playing scale/size ...
...I then format it for printing (and also put in pdf, available on the Map Page)...
..I then print it out and put it together: in this case, I also hand colored it (there is a tutorial on hand coloring on the Map Room page).
Above, the finished product with a small number of Bloody Big Battles style units represented by Kriegspiel Blocks for illustration.  These historical maps can be used to fight particular battles (of course), but I picked them more as good terrain-scapes that could be used generically. There are several tutorials in the Map Room to help with how to manage gaming with them, how to assemble the, how to colorize them, and how to produce custom modular maps (which is the next topic in this post). 

MODULAR TERRAIN AND MAPS

I also wanted to be able to put together games that were not based on any particular map. In other words, to provide resources to essentially replicate the same process used for a standard miniatures scenario: ie, using terrain pieces on a "blank slate" wargame table/game mat.

Above: samples of pages from the Hill, Town, and Woods terrain sets.

I still wanted a period look, however. Whereas the historical battle maps above have an 18th century look (fair enough since they are are from the 18th Century), Bloody Big Battles is focused on post-Napoleonic (although there are variants for earlier periods).  So I pulled the modular graphics from 19th Century Kriegspiel Maps (mostly the Metz Map) and created four sets: Hills, Towns, Woods, and Rivers. Each set is several pages in length and contains multiple terrain features. I put each into a pdf and posted them in the Map Room.
After downloading and printing, all you need do is cut out the desired pieces and put them on a "Map" sheet (there is also a tutorial on producing a period looking blank map sheet). A bit of plexiglas over the top flattens them out and allows you to draw roads, town names, and other supplemental details as needed... 
...and Bob's Yer Uncle. 

Best of all, most of this kit can be organized and contained in art sleeves...
...which in turn can be neatly stored in this large artist's carrying portfolio. 

Excelsior!

20 comments:

  1. Very cool, Ed. The finished product looks great. How do you “clean the graphics” off from the original map? Is this a software package you use to strip layers from these graphics/pdf files?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm low tech and high effort--I use MS Paint. Given that the source maps all began life as Jpgs, all I did was download them and open them in MS Paint. Then what I do is mask the graphic by selecting and dragging a bit of the background near it over it. I repeat that over and over again until I've blocked out all the graphics. In some places, that means blocking out the terrain features, in which case I go in and pick up a like-feature to the section that got masked and fill the gap with it. In areas where there is alot of mixed unit graphics and underlying features, I zoom in and magnify. These maps all began as Jpgs, so I only had to drop them into MS Paint and get going. For the modular terrain, I pulled them out of pdf Kriegspiel maps by using a screen capture and then dropped them into MS Paint--and retouched them and resized them for use in half scale BBB.
      It sounds like alot of effort, but I've spent more time painting figures than I have working on maps: it's just a different sort of hobby activity as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation. I wondered if that was your process. Different hobby and just as enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. These look great Ed and good on you for going to all the trouble of doing all this work and then supplying it to others as a free resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. I know I've gained much from other people's blogs, so am happy to inflict a bit of my mania on others in return :).

      Delete
  3. That really does look good and an ideal way to play BBB Kreigspiel style. The hand colouring is a nice touch, rather like the mezzo-tint photographs. Interesting to read how you went about creating the maps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a happy accident that my first try at hand coloring rendered the effect I was looking for--ie something that evoked the period. Our group is very enthusiastic about BBB, both my style and with minis at full scale.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking stuff Ed…
    My first ever grown up job was as a cartographic assistant… which basically meant… drawing maps.
    I still have a love for a good looking map.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps may be functional, but they are certainly pieces of art as well, particularly pre-20th century--I think there is a correlation between age and the amount of illustration there is (like actual trees as opposed to just a green block).

      Delete
  5. Excellent effort and results. Maps look the business and should be useful to others. Nice job and thanks for sharing the work. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee, Stew. It occurs to me that I could probably also gin up a board wargame using this sort of product (the butterfly flits again!).

      Delete
  6. You are an extremely talented fellow Ed, matched only by your generosity in sharing the fruits of your dedicated labours of love. Executed superbly.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James: a bit of talent supplemented by lots of labor wins the day :)--and hobby "work" is always better than "real" work! Happy to share!

      Delete
  7. A lovely product from your efforts and very usable too, I'm another fan of your hand tinting, just the right level of detailing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Iain: although I put them together for a specific use myself, I hope that they do provide other uses for other players (and I even probably will use them for other systems later on). As far as the hand tinting, that was a happy case of the first idea proving to be the one that worked (not being artistically trained, it was a guess based on my limited understanding of the materials).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely maps! By the way, where is your old 9 years war stuff? Did it disappear? Can't find it on a click on an old link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Nick. Awhile back my blog got hacked and several of the content pages were zapped--the Nine Years War being one of them. The good news is that I have an intact archive of it, along with all the files. I just haven't gotten around to rebuilding and reposting it.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear it didn't totally disappear! Did you finish your work on Neerwinden, by the way?

      Delete
    3. The Neerwinden project remains a work in progress, one that unfortunately has not been tended to for some time. However, I am heartened to hear that you asked about it. It is encouraging, indeed, to know that there is some interest out there. Although my gaming in recent years may not reflect it, my interest in the era persists as evrr!

      Delete
  10. Excellent! Pleased to hear it, and I hope we see the fruits of your research sometime in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...