Wednesday, November 29, 2023


 The world turned sideways.

Still dealing with several sundry (and boring) domestic gyrations that have sucked up much time and energy. Although these have been ongoing for the last few months, they haven't stopped me from getting hobby action in (just scattered and less regular).  Which brings up the "radio silence" here for the last month or so. I haven't given up the hobby, but have had another spot of unpleasantness that has kept me (literally) from keyboarding for more than a few minutes at a time (it's the posture, you see...). Doing the DIY-thing, I've (once again) managed to pinch a nerve in the neck, which manifested itself in chronic pain running from the source through the shoulder and all the way down the arm (nerve pain; it's the worst).  After three weeks of diligently doing the exercises learned from physical therapy from the last time, the condition has finally calmed down--and now I'm typing again! (As you can see...or read...or whatever.) It's nice to be a tall fellow, except when you start getting old and the physics involved with long necks, limbs, and backs starts coming home to roost. I guess I'll have to hire more staff to take care of things about Meanderer Estate in future (I wish). 

In the most recent hobby news 'round here, though, that I can share in short form, I have registered to run three games at the upcoming Mayhem 2024 game convention. It's been a long time since I've run multiple games at a convention, so this is a rather ambitious schedule for me, but I'm looking forward to it! 
On Friday at 8:00 PM, I'll be running Event #1, The Battle of Lutzen using my Baroque Battles system in 6mm. 
And on Saturday evening, at 8:00 PM, I'll be returning to the scene of the crime and hosting Event #7, Joust for the Fun of It! with my big Schleich Knights. This game debuted at the Mayhem 2023 convention in the same time slot, and I hope it will be as well received the second time around as the first. For new readers to this blog, you may find out more about this system on the Joust for the Fun of It! resource page (consider yourselves warned!). 

That's the hobby news 'round here for now.
Excelsior!

9 comments:

  1. I feel for you Ed, as I have permanent background pain in my shoulder and left arm, from a mix of dystonic tremors and two damaged vertebrae pressing on a nerve in my neck. Some days are worse than others, so when it's bad I can't paint as my hand shakes too much!

    Glad to see you on the mend thought and have a good maount of stuff planned. Just stay fit and healthy if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate my conditions are age related (which isn't going to change), but so far things that get aggravated and then resolve, as opposed being permanent (so I feel for you!). I have to start "acting my age" to put it one way, and be more mindful about the ways I move and exert myself.

      Delete
  2. Neck and back pain are no good and can sometimes take forever to work themselves out. Good to see you back at the keyboard after the symptoms have eased a bit.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I think your Baroque Battles game looks very cool.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jonathan: this latest bout caught me rather by surprise since it didn't stem from some form of trauma, like a hiking accident or a fall (like the last). As far as Baroque Battles, I have done a small bit of simplification to what is posted (a revised ref sheet), but the game has played well and been well received in our club. I am working, on and off, on a Rocroi scenario, and thinking of adding others later (Nordlingen and Breitenfeld come to mind).

      Delete
  3. Funny cartoon Ed, but not a funny condition! I’m going to sound like I know what I am talking about now …. But I don’t, but I have heard that there is good software around now that allows you to dictate your text and the words appear on the screen. I am guessing that you have to in and edit it a bit, but that could significantly cut down on keyboard antics aggravating the condition …. or vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, these aggravations are still temporary in nature and do resolve after time (although each time it happens, you do wonder if this time around it isn't permanent). Voice recognition software has come a long way, indeed, and could be a viable option should things devolve to where a return to the traditional interface is not in the cards.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good trio of varied games, I just had to break up some kindling, grabbed a saw and an axe, recovery to the various muscles took a while, I should have stretched and took more notice of my posture and position but clearly I wasn't thinking about that at the time as I never used to but unfortunately now do! I hope your recovery is speedy!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the other side of my troubles; I hope yours come along as well. I now have a new (and better) understanding of what "acting one's age" really means (hopefully, I'll be able to learn and avoid more aches and pains in the future).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...