Thursday, April 25, 2024

MAYHEM CONVENTION: PART THE FIRST


Friday at the registration desk: things just getting under way.

Having gotten back and recouped from Mayhem 2024, it's time to do some posting on the convention. The short version is that I had a grand time, visited with fellow club mates, met and mingled with other gamers, and ran three games, the high point of which was interacting with the splendid gamers involved.  Unfortunately, I did not shoot lots and lots of pictures given my heavy involvement in my own games. Running one on Friday night and then setting up late into the evening to get the second one running at 8 a.m. the next day left me a bit strung out--so before my Saturday evening game, I did take a break. However, I did, indeed, capture some images, and I have things to report (fear not).  In this post, I'll recap the general convention and report on the activities of my fellow club mates. Collectively, I believe our club ran something like 10 games during the convention: not a bad showing, I think. For lots and lots of pictures, I would recommend that you follow this link to fellow club mate AJ's posting on our public facebook page. 

Things just getting going during the Friday afternoon game session. 
The much busier scene on Saturday afternoon.

Fellow club members at Mayhem.

Phil ran a Brother v Brother French and Indian War game, Battle on Snowshoes.


Richard (aka, Dr Dick) ran Bavaria Ablaze with a game system of his own design using 6mm figs to represent large scale Napoleonic actions. He's been running these games at both regional and major conventions for some time, and they've been well received. 
 
Michael B (bearded fellow holding up fingers), ran his large scale age of sail pirate game, another home grown system--very popular within the club and also with convention goers: the game was full. 

AJ ran another of his innovative American War of Independence Electronic Brigadier games, the Battle of Mill Creek. This game filled up in advance and had a waiting list. He is moving ahead with making his system public, so watch for more information on that as it develops. 

Robert (seated at the end of the table facing the camera) ran three linked games of Marengo using a home brew Napoleonic system that has (once again) been  convention tested and run for our club. 

Mark D ran a Pikeman's Lament game set in the English Civil War, Ambush at Black Rock Cross. This game was also full with a waiting list (I was able to benefit from that fact since I had a no-show at my jousting game on the other side of the room and one of Mark's stand-byes filled the seat). 

I ran three games, which will be the subject of another post...

The Battle of Lutzen (Pike and Shot) using my Baroque Battles system (Friday night); Clash of Eagles using Bloody Big Battles with Kriegspiel Blocks (Saturday morning); and wrapping up with Joust for the Fun of It Saturday evening. 

Part of our crew taking a break at lunch on Saturday: AJ (taking picture), and right to left, your humble correspondent, Mark D (waving), and Byron (who had come up for the day); Dr D and Robert had just departed for the afternoon's gaming session.

It was, in short, a splendid (tiring) time.  Before I depart this post, however, I would like to make a connection to an earlier post. For those who may have been following along here for an extended time, you may recall my philosophical post of November 15, 2017, Of Playing With Toy Soldiers...

...which arrived at its point by concluding with the above image.  Well, it's been several years since then, and with time, there are a few less friends with us than there were then, and our crew at these conventions isn't what it used to be, but nevertheless, I saw a picture taken by the inimitable Mike Paine (below) that reminded me of the point of the previous post. Mike is a fixture at conventions here in the Northeast... 
...who runs these incredible "Hanghai" Pulp Chinese games...

...that are kid friendly. The more you look, the more you see,... 
...and his tables fire the imaginations of both adults and children. The enraptured expression of this little girl captures, I think, who we still all are, deep down, when we step up to play at toy soldiers--even after all these years.  

Exceslior!
 

24 comments:

  1. Some super games on show and best of all they looked like good fun. Looking forward to your report on the games you ran, the Clash of Eagles one really interests me, be interested to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my follow up report doesn't disappoint!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great couple of days Ed and I think you have drawn the correct interpretation of the final image - we are all just big kids at heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The timing of this convention provided something of a much needed boost to kick off the spring/summer gaming season after an ugly winter and a few other things going on with members in our circle.

      Delete
  3. A good mix of games there Ed and I can imagine you must be pretty tired after all of that. I know I would be! Looking forward to the next report:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. I've only run multiple games at a convention once before, but that was not three games in two days (and let's just say I my hair was a bit less salt and pepper the last time). I think I'll pace myself a bit more next time around.

      Delete
  4. Wow some awesome looking games there Ed. The pirate one has inspired me to have a go at making some of my own (gaming standard) vessels in a larger scale. Cheers for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a naval/age of sail guy, but I make the exception for Michael's games (I've even invested in a single ship with crew to play in them).

      Delete
  5. Hmm, not been to Mayhem, but maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the trip if you're anywhere near. Look for me if you do make it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I wish I had gotten more shots and done the larger convention more justice.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a nice variety of games and a nice convention. I enjoyed reading this first part and agree with the end sentiments entirely.
    It is true that if one attends conventions regularly that you develop a kind of ‘convention crew’ of fellow gamers.
    Looking forward to seeing more of the games you put on. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This convention, being in its second year, the crew thing is just getting started (I recognize several folks from my games last year). It does benefit from many of the long time gamers in the region attending several other conventions, in addition to this new one, so there is a head start.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a good convention. Looking forward to your three battle reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second year for this event, and they've got the venue booked and are advertising for next year--it's all good!

      Delete
  9. A grand looking show Ed… certainly lots of interesting looking games

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a small regional convention, but it does provide a nice mix: something for everyone!

      Delete
  10. Great looking games, does sound like a lot of work and I love the last picture!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain: it was worth the effort, but I think I'll scale back next year!

      Delete
  11. Great looking convention Ed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate to have several nice, regional conventions here in New England.

      Delete
  12. Excellent write up. Looking at the photos, I need to lose some weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ--photos do tend to be unflattering to both figures and our own figures!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...