Wednesday, April 10, 2024

PLAYTEST AND PACK

 

Before the playtest: all tidy and ready to go.

Last Friday, I had six lusty lads over for a final run through of my upcoming Mayhem Convention Bloody Big Battle Game: Clash of Eagles, 1879.   

In preparation, I had reworked my unit identification schemes, with new color coding, enlarged on-table markers, and an updated the OOB for six players. 
I also tested out the bright idea of putting my references under the plexiglass at the end of the table at my "referee station." 

And then everyone arrived, and we got stuck in...and I got no pictures, so involved was I in facilitating and making notes to help prep for the convention game--even though I had run this game two times already (this being the third), there were still takeaways that will make the convention event better.  For one, I found that having the references under plexiglass was a loser (I just kept on using the ones on my clip board). The new markers, however, were validated as an improvement. Probably the most important thing to come from the playtest was refreshing my own practice in teaching and facilitating the game, something I knew I needed and now have under my belt.  

Well, I did get one picture: here is the aftermath, no longer so neat and tidy as the setup.  

This was the last playtest of the three games that I'll be running at Mayhem. Next step: taking inventory and packing them up for the convention (wouldn't want to get there and find out that I left the dice at home!)

Excelsior!

11 comments:

  1. If you are not accustomed to hosting regularly and frequently, a few practice sessions help tremendously. For QRS, I laminate mine and keep it no larger 5"x7" double-sided. That way, I can keep it in hand or nearby so that either one or both hands are free. Good luck in your games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point. I've hosted lots of convention games (which is one reason I keep coming up with all those reference sheets and other aids--I created them to help me facilitate games). Ironically, long practice has also taught me that I need to "ramp up" before each convention game in order to have a quality event.

      Delete
  2. good luck to you! it's almost showtime for both of us (because it's this weekend right? we'll be doing conventions at the same time!).
    I'm sure you'll do well. getting in a practice game the sign of a caring and considerate GM. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My convention is next weekend. Close enough for government work. Hood luck to you and your wooden warriors!

      Delete
    2. I do work for the government….😀

      Delete
  3. Looks great and pleasing that the practice produced helpful outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have to follow through and not invent some new way to goof up it up at the convention!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks: despite not having figures on display, the look of the games has been as well received as the play. It will be interesting to see what sort of response it gets in a public convention setting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...