Wednesday, May 31, 2017

SMALLE WARRE RULES PAGE ADDED

 I've created a new content page with my Smalle Warre Rules. Aside from my own lifelong interest in the 17th Century (don't ask me why),  I started out using these rules to play Cossack Rebellion scenarios inspired by the Henryk Sienkiewicz trilogy and then later expanded them (and my collection) to cover the 17th Century in general (Eastern Renaissance to ECW/Thirty Year's War to Siege of Vienna, roughly). There is much more information about the system on the content page, so I won't clutter up this blog entry by reprising that. Instead, I'll just offer some mid-week eye candy and encourage the more curious to check out the content page.
(Above) The convention debut of the game system came at Historicon 2007. For any readers who may have played in one of my games, the rules have been revised and  with use, so the version here is different than what you may have if you hung on to something from a few years ago.

Below, various and sundry other game pictures.
 
Excelsior!

2 comments:

  1. From your convention game, your game struck me as being larger than skirmish. How do you define a skirmish level game or should go directly to your rules page for answers to this question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question--when is a skirmish game not a skirmish game? I revised the content page to add some definition of the level (the second paragraph).

    Generally speaking, I think of a "skirmish" game as one where figures are mounted individually and the action is more "granular"--in other words, where activity below the collective unit level is reflected, a good example in black powder games would be loading and/or firing muskets (not all figures would have to fire, and those that do are empty and have to reload). This can still involve significant numbers of units and figures.

    This system, as far as scale and numbers of figures/units per player, is akin to others like TSATF, Brother Against Brother, GASLIGHT--historical, etc. I find that you have to inflate the unit count a bit for a convention so that a player isn't knocked out of the game too easily--at least 3 per player (which adds up when you design for six players).

    I do have another set of rules (surprise!), though, where each player would control only 8-10 figures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...