Sunday, December 31, 2023

THE YEAR THAT WAS: 2023 IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR


The Game Room on Dec 30, 2023; a shell, but a sound one...  
...compared to the splendid set up of in March of this year.

As is the tradition, here is a post summarizing the blogging/hobby year past. I think the two images of my game room say it all: this has been a disruptive period at Meanderer Central, to say the least, and the intermittent blogging activity is reflective of its impact on blogging.  For those who wish to really dive into the story, you can visit my very proud post of March announcing the completion of the clear out and reorganization of my hobby space. Which then I had to tear down and clear out in order to replace the skylights (which had begun leaking), Many twists and turns ensued; to make a long story short, we finally achieved closure on the project in early December of this year, and the room is now as you see it in picture #1. Mixed in with this tribulation was a rushed preparation to move house that wound up getting nixed at the last moment. These events have caused us to be in a sort of limbo, and having gone through the considerable task of clearing out and storing my entire hobby collection, I'm reluctant to unpack it and re-occupy the game room until we achieve closure on our own plans.  In the meantime, I am using the room as a project space, and do intend to run games again by making trips up to the attic to pull figures and terrain as needed. 

The disruption on the home front and the loss of my gaming space have caused much distraction, to say the least, giving the general impression of 2023 as a "lost" year, hobby wise.  However,  upon reflection, I think it was not all that bad. I  completed a major hobby project, my Joust For the Fun of It system, which I had been working on for five years. This included not only the rules and adding a content page to this blog, but putting together the knights and all the associated scenery.  I also completed another project, 
my Lion Rampant II references, adding a second new resource page to my blog. Although not everyone's cup of tea, I do enjoy this end of the hobby spectrum very much, but do have to remind myself to recognize these activities as valid as figures-painted and games-played  (for me, anyway). 
Looking back on the year also brought me to recognize another step forward in 2023, a return to the convention circuit and debuting my jousting game at the Mayhem convention, as well as hosting it on several occasions for our gaming club.

Looking ahead to the new year, I have started using the space again: on the table is the latest project; I'm working on a new Konnigratz Kriegspiel map in preparation for the Bloody Big Battles game I'll be running at the Mayhem 2024 convention in April.  I'll have more on this project in a future post. 
I have put my comfy chair back in  place, and am putting it to good use. Here you see the notes and scribblings for my Chocolate Box Wars (CBW) rules, which have been sidetracked for too long. I've had something of an "aha" moment in November and have been making good progress on them since. I am determined to get them done and up on this blog within this blog year.  My actual intent is to get them up by March, but for the record (and given the way that life can intervene), I think I'll just say by this time next year....
...and here is a bit of tangible evidence of work in progress beyond my scribblings and notes: several sets of print and play CBW armies.  Necessity being the mother of invention, I wanted a quick and space efficient way to playtest my system without having to unbox and pull down my miniatures. Not being happy with just symbols or colored markers, I worked up these from various and sundry sources (more details on this project will be the subject of another post). 

So, there you have it. A in brief review of 2023 and the promise of things to come in 2024.  In other words, thanks for the regulars who have continued to visit and drop a line here during this last rather down year (blogging wise); your support is very much appreciated...

...and a Happy New Year to all visitors, regular and occasional, to this space...
Excelsior!


12 comments:

  1. We may not always get the year we either want or expect but you have rolled with the punches admirably. My, your game room looks tidy.

    Happy New Year, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like tidy better than empty :) Happy New Year, Jonathan!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your up and down year, but there are a lot of gaming positives to be seen from this side of the pond. As for moving house, something we hope not to have to do again, short of a nice big lottery win! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day, I can't complain (too much) about my "hobby life" in 2023, particularly when considering the full range of engagement (not just games played and figures painted). Happy New Year, Steve!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I GOTS to get me a cozy chair for my gaming reading.
    I understand that once everything is packed away it'd be tiresome to get all out again just to pack it all away again. Though as stuff was needed I would end up getting it out and end up in a state that's neither all packed or unpacked.
    Are you closer in finding a current spot?
    I'll be getting the LRII reference and giving a read the next time that game comes up in my life, as I have it and enjoy it.

    Happy new year! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew. Good to have you check in. I think if just the move we thought we were about to embark on that got nixed at the last minute were all that happened, we would have gotten closure. But the downside of home ownership has reared its head to compound the issue; we have also hit one of those stretches of home ownership whack-a-mole where just as you fix one problem, some other crops up. I am selectively putting things back into the man cave as I use them, so there is that. in the meantime, I keep in the game very much by posting content, like the LRII references (hope they work for you!)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Ed....hopefully things might go more to plan in 2024 than 23. I am with Stew....by now, at least some of my troops would be unpacked again! I hope I don't have to move house again although not sure my wife would agree....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Keith. I think 2023 was one for the record books for disruption on the home front (and by extension, others). Looking forward to a better path forward in '24!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Ed…
    I posted a comment earlier but it looks like Google ate it 🙄
    Building works are so disruptive and always seem to take longer than you thought… But when it’s finished it feels so good.
    You have certainly not been idle… I loved your Joust for the Fun game it is certainly a stand out project.
    I am also looking forward to seeing where you go with the Chocolate Box Wars…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Aly. Among the pantheon of building works, I think repairs are in the basement--unplanned for, expensive, disruptive, and in the end, just to put things back the way they were. Plunging ahead with CBW (finally). If you're familiar with 1914 (Great Escape Games--an adjacent set of rules to Iron Cross), I'm working on a variant of that for the CBW.

      Delete
  6. Good to see the war room repairs are complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks: now I need to take the next step and get some gaming done!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...